Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Craig White

Default rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed:connection refused"

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 15:27 -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Tariq Ismail Dalvi Sent: November 25, 2009 15:21
> >
> > I am facing same problem but with CentOS 5.4 and BIND 9.3.6 while I
> > was having 5.3 named was working fine but now it give me same error in
> > Service configuration panel to start named I have to reboot the system
> > but if I give Service named restart it stops and fails to start only I
> > can use service named reload on command line.
>
> Thank you for your reply but your problem seems to be different than
> mine. "service named start" and "service named restart" work fine on
> my system it is the "rndc start" which is failing.
----
are you running chroot?

do you have reference to 'include rndc.key' in your named.conf?

can chroot named.conf read the key?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Christopher Chan

>> Also in the steps you have taken above you are stopping bind
>> via rndc stop and then trying to start it with the unknown
>> "start" command. Even if "start" was known it would not work,
>> rndc communicated directly with named, and since it was already
>> stopped in a previous step there is no way that your "start"
>> (or any other command, reload, flush, whatever) could work at
>> that point.
>>

> That would explain a lot but it would have been more useful if the
> rndc command had returned an error saying something like "start
> command unknown" rather than accepting the command and indicating
> a communication problem.

So file a bug with the BIND developers about this rather obvious 'bug'.