Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

Default rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed:connection refused"

From: Tariq Ismail Dalvi Sent: November 25, 2009 15:21

> I am facing same problem but with CentOS 5.4 and BIND 9.3.6 while I
> was having 5.3 named was working fine but now it give me same error in
> Service configuration panel to start named I have to reboot the system
> but if I give Service named restart it stops and fails to start only I
> can use service named reload on command line.

Thank you for your reply but your problem seems to be different than
mine. "service named start" and "service named restart" work fine on
my system it is the "rndc start" which is failing.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 11-25-2009, 10:36 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

From: John R. Dennison Sent: November 25, 2009 15:26

> You are going through entirely too many steps.
>
> 1) Edit zone file
>
> 2) rndc reload foo.com

I will give that a try.

> Also in the steps you have taken above you are stopping bind
> via rndc stop and then trying to start it with the unknown
> "start" command. Even if "start" was known it would not work,
> rndc communicated directly with named, and since it was already
> stopped in a previous step there is no way that your "start"
> (or any other command, reload, flush, whatever) could work at
> that point.

That would explain a lot but it would have been more useful if the
rndc command had returned an error saying something like "start
command unknown" rather than accepting the command and indicating
a communication problem.

Thanks very much for your informative reply.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:36:09PM -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:

> That would explain a lot but it would have been more useful if the
> rndc command had returned an error saying something like "start
> command unknown" rather than accepting the command and indicating
> a communication problem.

It's operating per design and it's operating properly; rndc
is nothing more than an interface to allow admins to provide
commands to the running named instance and if named isn't
running there is nothing that rndc is able to do from that
point forward so it indicates to the user that it can't
communicate - seems logical to me.

John

--
<Hellow> Adola: rm -rf /
<Adola> Hellow: What is that?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

From: Christopher Chan Sent: November 25, 2009 15:50
> >> Also in the steps you have taken above you are stopping bind
> >> via rndc stop and then trying to start it with the unknown
> >> "start" command. Even if "start" was known it would not work,
> >> rndc communicated directly with named, and since it was already
> >> stopped in a previous step there is no way that your "start"
> >> (or any other command, reload, flush, whatever) could work at
> >> that point.
> >
> > That would explain a lot but it would have been more useful if the
> > rndc command had returned an error saying something like "start
> > command unknown" rather than accepting the command and indicating
> > a communication problem.
>
> So file a bug with the BIND developers about this rather obvious
> 'bug'.

Good suggestion and I have done so.

hec

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 11-25-2009, 11:19 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

From: Arturas Skauronas Sent: November 25, 2009 16:04
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Hugh E Cruickshank
> <hugh@forsoft.com> wrote:
> > CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4
> > 3. Delete the journal files:
> > rm *.jnl
>
> why to do that?
> you can do simple zone update by:
> rndc freeze [zone]
> if you got error like:
> rndc: 'freeze' failed: not found
> try than:
> rndc freeze [zone] in internal
>
> edit you zone
> rndc unfreeze [zone] [in internal]
> rndc reload

I agree. I have already revised my procedures to reflect the change.
The procedures I had in place were based on someone else's procedures
that were post to a web page. I now suspect that the posting was
rather dated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com