Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Tariq Ismail Dalvi

Default rndc start fails with "rndc: connect failed: connection refused"

Hello ,

I am facing same problem but with CentOS 5.4 and BIND 9.3.6 while I
was having 5.3 named was working fine but now it give me same error in
Service configuration panel to start named I have to reboot the system
but if I give Service named restart it stops and fails to start only I
can use service named reload on command line.

I did everything so far but no luck I shall try to go back to CentOS 5.3
thats the option I feel might work for me.

Regards.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh@forsoft.com> wrote:
> CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4
>
> Hi All:
>
> I have a rather annoying problem with rndc which I have not been able
> to resolve despite much searching and many attempts to correct. When
> making changes to our DNS entries I have tried to use the following
> procedures:
>
> 1. Flush the cache buffers:
>
> * rndc flush
>
> 2. Stop named:
>
> * rndc stop
>
> 3. Delete the journal files:
>
> * rm *.jnl
>
> 4. Edit the forward and/or reverse zone files as necessary.
>
> 5. Restart named:
>
> * rndc start
>
> Everything works fine until the last command which fails with:
>
> * rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>
> I can get around this by using "service named start" but I should not
> have to do this. Has anyone encountered something similar and can pass
> on some words of wisdom?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards, Hugh
>
> --
> Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Best Regards
Tariq Ismail Dalvi
http://www.dalvis.net
tariq@dalvis.net

Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:04:59PM -0800, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> CentOS 4.8, BIND 9.2.4
>
> 1. Flush the cache buffers:
>
> rndc flush
>
> 2. Stop named:
>
> rndc stop
>
> 3. Delete the journal files:
>
> rm *.jnl
>
> 4. Edit the forward and/or reverse zone files as necessary.
>
> 5. Restart named:
>
> rndc start
>
> Everything works fine until the last command which fails with:
>
> rndc: connect failed: connection refused
>
> I can get around this by using "service named start" but I should not
> have to do this. Has anyone encountered something similar and can pass
> on some words of wisdom?

You are going through entirely too many steps.

1) Edit zone file

2) rndc reload foo.com

Also in the steps you have taken above you are stopping bind
via rndc stop and then trying to start it with the unknown
"start" command. Even if "start" was known it would not work,
rndc communicated directly with named, and since it was already
stopped in a previous step there is no way that your "start"
(or any other command, reload, flush, whatever) could work at
that point.

John

--
"The Special Olympics is to winners as FOX News is to experts.
If you show up, you are one."

-- Jon Stewart