Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
ML

Default Yum and upgrading PHP

Hi All,

I ran yum upgrade today and it went fine.

I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3 (currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.

How does one upgrade individual packages versus doing a plain system upgrade (like just yum upgrade)

-Jason

Old 11-25-2009, 07:14 PM

> Hi All,
>
> I ran yum upgrade today and it went fine.
>
> I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3
> (currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.
>
> How does one upgrade individual packages versus doing a plain system
> upgrade (like just yum upgrade)

I'm a little confused: why did you do a yum upgrade php after running yum
upgrade; if there was a php package to upgrade in any of the mirrors or
repositories you have allowed, it would have already been upgraded.

mark

Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 PM
ML

Hi Mark,

>> I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3
>> (currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.
>>
>> How does one upgrade individual packages versus doing a plain system
>> upgrade (like just yum upgrade)
>
> I'm a little confused: why did you do a yum upgrade php after running yum
> upgrade; if there was a php package to upgrade in any of the mirrors or
> repositories you have allowed, it would have already been upgraded.

Well I thought a yum upgrade would get a php update if it was available, but there was nothing, so I tried a normal yum upgrade php as it would be nice to get to php 5.3.

So must be the mirror I am using doesn't have an upgraded package.

-Jason

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM

> Hi Mark,
>
>>> I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3
>>> (currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.
<snip>
>> I'm a little confused: why did you do a yum upgrade php after running
>> yum upgrade; if there was a php package to upgrade in any of the mirrors
>> or repositories you have allowed, it would have already been upgraded.
>
> Well I thought a yum upgrade would get a php update if it was available,
> but there was nothing, so I tried a normal yum upgrade php as it would be
> nice to get to php 5.3.
>
> So must be the mirror I am using doesn't have an upgraded package.

Are you getting extras, and/or updates? I see one mirror with a bunch of
php modules, but not php itself, in updates.

mark

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:35:53PM -0800, ML wrote:
> Well I thought a yum upgrade would get a php update if it was
> available, but there was nothing, so I tried a normal yum upgrade php
> as it would be nice to get to php 5.3.
>
> So must be the mirror I am using doesn't have an upgraded package.

CentOS does not ship php 5.3; altho it is available from
some 3rd party repositories.

There is a php-5.2.9 in the c5-testing repository.

Please see:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Please pay attention to the references to yum-priorities
if you are going to mix and match repositories.

John

--
"Which is more believable: In the beginning there was God, who created the
universe, or in the beginning there was nothing, which exploded"

-- <nog>

Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Rob Kampen

ML wrote:

Hi Mark,

I tried a yum upgrade php so that I could get to either 5.2 or 5.3
(currently 5.1.2) and It says nothing marked for upgrade.

How does one upgrade individual packages versus doing a plain system
upgrade (like just yum upgrade)

I'm a little confused: why did you do a yum upgrade php after running yum
upgrade; if there was a php package to upgrade in any of the mirrors or
repositories you have allowed, it would have already been upgraded.

Well I thought a yum upgrade would get a php update if it was available, but there was nothing, so I tried a normal yum upgrade php as it would be nice to get to php 5.3.

So must be the mirror I am using doesn't have an upgraded package.

This issue comes up very regularly, I believe there is a 5.2.6 variant
of php in the testing repo that I haven't used but others on the list
have and so far no bad reports. As this is .el5, the enterprise linux
version is does not always have the latest and greatest, but that's the
price for tried, tested and true. HTH

-Jason