Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Boris Epstein

Default port forwarding using iptables

Hi listmates,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Does anybody know if there is a convenient utility to configure
iptables on a CentOS 5.4 or 5.3 machine to do port forwarding? And if
not, where and how does one put the requisite commands?

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Ron Loftin

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 13:57 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hi listmates,
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!
>
> Does anybody know if there is a convenient utility to configure
> iptables on a CentOS 5.4 or 5.3 machine to do port forwarding? And if
> not, where and how does one put the requisite commands?

For what it's worth, I use the Shoreline firewall package
( www.shorewall.net ) for that purpose. It takes a bit to get used to
the syntax and idiosyncrazies of it, but it does just about anything you
need/want with an iptables-based firewall.

--
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Iņigo Medina

Hi Boris,

Does anybody know if there is a convenient utility to configure
iptables on a CentOS 5.4 or 5.3 machine to do port forwarding?
And if not, where and how does one put the requisite commands?

I'm using iptables just as command. For information about service and
very useful examples look at CentOS wiki on iptables:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Network/IPTables

iņ_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Robert Spangler

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 13:57, Boris Epstein wrote:

> Happy Thanksgiving!

Same to you too.

> Does anybody know if there is a convenient utility to configure
> iptables on a CentOS 5.4 or 5.3 machine to do port forwarding? And if
> not, where and how does one put the requisite commands?

I do all my iptables configuring from the command line. iptables config is
store in /etc/sysconfig/iptables. This Tutorial for iptables should be able
to help you.

http://www.zoominternet.net/~lazydog/iptables-tutorial.html

Port forwarding is really not that hard. The big question is if the
forwarding to another port is on the same box or will you be forwarding it
onto another box? If it is staying local then you want to look at REDIRECT
not forwarding. I.e.,

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080

If you are truly going to forward it onto another box then you need to look at
DNAT.

--

Regards
Robert