-   -   Docx format ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/286194-docx-format.html)

Niki Kovacs 11-25-2009 05:13 PM

Docx format ?

Hi,

Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?

Cheers,

Niki

"Roger K. Wells" 11-25-2009 05:15 PM

Docx format ?

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?

Open Office 3 will do it.
roger wells
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)
roger.k.wells@saic.com

11-25-2009 05:22 PM

Docx format ?

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Roger asked:
>>
>> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?
>>
> Open Office 3 will do it.

Yep, as well as .xlsx

But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$ had
to change the file format....

mark "sell more copies of the new version? Nahhhh...."

Robert Heller 11-25-2009 05:33 PM

Docx format ?

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?

A .docx is a ZIP file with some XML files in the archive. One of those
XML files contains the *text* of the document. One can use an XML
processing program to strip off the XML, leaving the bare textual
content. It will be unformatted, though.

> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Eero Volotinen 11-25-2009 05:37 PM

Docx format ?

You need openoffice "novell" version from: http://go-oo.org/

--
Eero

John R Pierce 11-25-2009 06:17 PM

Docx format ?

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Yep, as well as .xlsx
>
> But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$ had
> to change the file format....

FWIW, the new formats are XML based, albeit compressed. in most
theories, this is a good idea for portability.

the old file formats were proprietary, complex and full of ugliness from
20 years of extensions and variations (.DOC was used by MS Word for
MSDOS circa 1985). Yes, I know, MS did their own XML 'open' document
format, not the one everyone else is using, but at least being XML, its
readily decodable.

11-25-2009 06:44 PM

Docx format ?

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Yep, as well as .xlsx
>>
>> But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$
>> had
>> to change the file format....
>>

> FWIW, the new formats are XML based, albeit compressed. in most
> theories, this is a good idea for portability.
>
> the old file formats were proprietary, complex and full of ugliness from
> 20 years of extensions and variations (.DOC was used by MS Word for
> MSDOS circa 1985). Yes, I know, MS did their own XML 'open' document
<snip>
Yeah, some of us have been around that long and remember. Fortunately, I
wasn't forced to pollute my mind with Word until the late nineties, at
worst. Until then, when M$ paid with what we now know were illegal
kickbacks to the manufacturers, *everyone* used WordPerfect, which,
starting with 5.0, was *very* good.

Too bad they have never been able to market their way out of a wet paper
bag with the Governator. Also dumb, since their reveal codes showed codes
that would have had a one-to-one translation to html.

mark

MHR 11-25-2009 07:12 PM

Docx format ?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?
>>
>> A .docx is a ZIP file with some XML files in the archive. *One of those
>> XML files contains the *text* of the document. *One can use an XML
>> processing program to strip off the XML, leaving the bare textual
>> content. *It will be unformatted, though.
>
> You need openoffice "novell" version from: http://go-oo.org/

Not really - OO 3.1 for Linux and (gag) Windows reads them just fine.

mhr

Robert Heller 11-25-2009 07:48 PM

Docx format ?

> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> > Yep, as well as .xlsx
> >
> > But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$ had
> > to change the file format....
> >

> FWIW, the new formats are XML based, albeit compressed. in most
> theories, this is a good idea for portability.
>
> the old file formats were proprietary, complex and full of ugliness from
> 20 years of extensions and variations (.DOC was used by MS Word for
> MSDOS circa 1985). Yes, I know, MS did their own XML 'open' document
> format, not the one everyone else is using, but at least being XML, its
> readily decodable.

The new format is still semi-proprietary. Using XML and ZIP does not
automagically make the format open. If the *meaning* of the XML tags
are not documented, it is not possible to decode the XML file:

heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

Niki Kovacs 11-26-2009 06:58 AM

Docx format ?

Roger K. Wells a écrit :

> Open Office 3 will do it.

Indeed. I just gave it a try, it works. But I have to open the file from
within OO, there's no preconfigured file association.

Cheers,

Niki