Old 11-26-2009, 07:01 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Default Docx format ?

Behalf
>Of m.roth@5-cent.us
>Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:22 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Docx format ?
>
>Niki Kovacs wrote:
>> Roger asked:
>>>
>>> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?
>>>
>> Open Office 3 will do it.
>
>Yep, as well as .xlsx

What about Powerpoint presentations, ie .pptx-files? Do they look anywhere
near the original look when opened in MS Office?

I'm looking into setting up a public computer in our seminar room, running
CentOS on an old door-stopper I had handy; a P3/500 with barely 500MB RAM.
--
/Sorin

Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 08:58 +0100, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Indeed. I just gave it a try, it works. But I have to open the file
> from
> within OO, there's no preconfigured file association.

I don't have a docx file here to try (though I suppose I could find and
download one) but what if you right-click on the docx file, select
properties and set "open with" to oo3?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Guy Boisvert

John R Pierce wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Yep, as well as .xlsx
>>
>> But, I mean, you know all the *pressing* and Important reasons that M$ had
>> to change the file format....
>>

> FWIW, the new formats are XML based, albeit compressed. in most
> theories, this is a good idea for portability.
>
> the old file formats were proprietary, complex and full of ugliness from
> 20 years of extensions and variations (.DOC was used by MS Word for
> MSDOS circa 1985). Yes, I know, MS did their own XML 'open' document
> format, not the one everyone else is using, but at least being XML, its
> readily decodable.

Sorry but M$ supposedly "open" format isn't. If M$ would have wanted to
be really Open, it would have chosen ODF or develop OOXML in an open
manner... I have many clients that lived the Office nightmare where the
Office versions are not able to perfectly render files between them,
where the "compatibility plugins" don't translate 100%, etc. All that
to force clients to buy new version of Office, the "Admiral Ship" of M$.

This is the "spread like a virus and bug the others" method... New PCs
of my clients were sold with Office 2007 while the older PCs had 2003.
Technical documents were loosing formatting, no matter what we tried.
We called M$ and we were told to call Dell because Office was OEM. We
call Dell and they said to call M$... Finally, Dell was forced to do
something but they said they would do something they're not supposed:
Sell us Office 2007 OEM for the older PCs... But still, it doesn't cure
the problem with our 2500 technical spec sheets that were done with
Office 2007...

I pushed a lot for my clients to adopt Open Office but they told me it
isn't "standard" and that they would't be able to work with other
companies that, in majority, were using "standard" M$ Office!!! So here
we have FUD, misundertanding of the word "standard" and users that freak
out because they don't know Open Office... M$ and users at their best...

See:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/odf_ooxml_technical_white_paper
(there is a link for the PDF version on top of this article:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2138/pdf)

GB

Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Hi

I don't install the CentOS Openoffice, instead install 3.1 from
Openoffice web site. Seems to work fine with MS documents.

Regards

mg.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:44 PM
mark

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]
No clue - haven't run into one of those yet.

> I'm looking into setting up a public computer in our seminar room, running
> CentOS on an old door-stopper I had handy; a P3/500 with barely 500MB RAM.

Barely, he says. "Barely"....

mark, remembering the hot new ->30MB<- h/d his bosses gave him
in '89 as a holiday present

"Think of the elves as being like the CIA: whether or not they're on
your side, you don't really want to be noticed by them"
- Sean Mead (?), Windycon, 2002

Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 PM
MHR

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy@videotron.ca> wrote:

> This is the "spread like a virus and bug the others" method... *New PCs
> of my clients were sold with Office 2007 while the older PCs had 2003.
> Technical documents were loosing formatting, no matter what we tried.

There is an option in Office 2007 to use the older formatting (O03 and
earlier). That should solve the problem, short of getting rid of the
M$ monster altogether....

mhr

Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can read a .docx file on my CentOS desktop ?

Open in google docs and let them do the conversion work. Then download
as what file format you want. Seems to work for my use cases.

Cheers Didi

> Cheers,
>
> Niki

My www page: www.ribalba.de
Email / Jabber: ribalba@gmail.com
Skype : ribalba

Old 11-27-2009, 07:22 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Actually, I had to swap the disks to a newer machine, the obsolete Dell I
had intended for this had a problem with the BIOS or something, so that
whenever it rebooted it went into some kind of standby and I had to first
turn it off completely and then turn it on again. So much for being
environmentally aware and friendly to the nature by reusing old hardware...
/8-}

Anyway, I'll continue to look into OOO and pptx.
--
/Sorin

Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Downloaded and installed OOO3.1 on a CentOS 5.4 i386 I had here. After some
initial foul ups on my part (had OOO2 already installed, and had to first
uninstall the older one and then do a forced manual rpm-install of OOO3.1),
this is what I've found.

I got a pptx-file from my boss with pictures and formatting and whatnot. It
opened fine in CentOS. Some formatting was plain lost, but the pictures were
all there, as far as I can tell. Some graphics, like arrows and such did not
get through and looked like something from the 80s block graphics era.

Some text got printed over other parts of the text, however I've a inkling
this might be due to the screen size maybe?

I also opened the same pptx with OOO3.1 on my WinXP-machine, and got a blank
white screen, in slide show-mode.

So basically, CentOS+OOO3.1 vs WinXP+OOO3.1 scores 1 to 0. Good work CentOS
and OOO teams!
--
/Sorin

Old 11-27-2009, 08:02 PM
MHR

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:37 AM, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:

> So basically, CentOS+OOO3.1 vs WinXP+OOO3.1 scores 1 to 0. Good work CentOS
> and OOO teams!

<RBFG> Thanks for the laugh, Sorin!

mhr