Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
"Super Star"

Default John Rosatti, Excavators, 3D, NASA and Why Should I care?

John Rosatti, Excavators, 3D, NASA and Why Should I care?

Well, because!* * There are two definitions for excavator; one is
any person engaging in excavation is called an excavator.** The second
definition of excavator is, of course, the vehicles called excavators,
which are sometimes called diggers, trackhoes, fronthoes, and
360-degree excavators or just 360.* This is not to be confused with
Microsoft's vertical technology and news search engine called Excavator
or xcavator, as one has nothing to do with the other.* *Here we're
talking about heavy duty digging machines, even though several
manufacturers like John Deere, offer Compact, Midsize, and Large
Excavators ranging from 0-6 metric tons for the compact excavators, 6
to 40 metric tons for the midsize, and 40 to 85 for large John Deere
excavators. Additionally there exist mini-excavators, made by another
manufacturer, that will fit through a door.* In case you're now
wondering what 3D and VRML,* or actually x3D has to do with excavators,
that is something we will be getting to in other articles, for right
now you'll just have to trust that there is a fit.** For now, however,
let's get back to excavators, the digging machines used for, but not
limited to: Digging, demolition, minning, river dredging, heavy
lifting, and with hydraulic attachments, brush cutting.* It is these
same hydraulic attachments that have expanded the use of excavators,
far beyond their original use of excavation such as the Low-energy
Planetary Excavator (LPE) proposed by NASA.** The latest paper to be
found on this Nasa proposal is for 2006, so the current status can only
be guessed at, nevertheless, the concept is certainly intriguing as are
the LPE's possible commercial applications. Basically, The LPE would be
a general-purpose machine with the ability to mine ice, regolith, and
rock; it would also support construction activities. The purpose and
application is meant for future manned and unmanned missions to the
Moon, Mars, and beyond.* .Additionally, adaptations could be made for
use in extreme-low gravity such as on asteroids. This idea of efficient
and reliable an excavator that has usage on differing planetary
surfaces and various materials has the goal of enabling exploration and
bases from outposts to self-sustaining complexes. *The LPE would be
able to accommodate the different materials that are encountered on
planetary surfaces as the LPE would sense geologic changes and respond
to them by using the lowest cutting energy possible. Moving on the to
the possible non-NASA commercial application it can be said that the
same qualities of the LPE that apply to space would also attract
terrestrial users or said differently, us earth bound creatures.* As
both business and government markets rapidly expand, so does the need
for urban infrastructure.* Using NASA's own words on the subject;
"Urban construction settings restrict the use of explosives, to
minimize damaging vibrations, making mechanical methods attractive. In
addition, shallow tunnel construction is rapidly changing from
cut-and-cover to wholly underground, because excavations disrupt city
traffic. Coupled with increasing population, these factors enhance the
market for innovatively flexible systems such as the LPE".If I could
have said it better than NASA did, I would have.* But I couldn't, so I
didn't.* Anyway, there you have it, both the past of excavators and a
look at their future with the development of the Low-energy Planetary
Excavator

JC Curran owns and operates* Excavators Models

Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 15:08 +0200, Super Star wrote:
> John Rosatti, Excavators, 3D, NASA and Why Should I care?

----
is someone going to run this guy already?

Craig

Old 01-04-2008, 04:26 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Jan 4, 2008 11:59 AM, Craig White <craig@tobyhouse.com> wrote:

> is someone going to run this guy already?

Stab-Over-IP is an evolving standard, and is unfortunately not
implemented in most countries with legal systems.

He was removed. He re-registered and re-sent. He was moderated to deny access.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

George Orwell