FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Janez Kosmrlj
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

Has anybody successfully implemented DRPMs on centos 5.x?
I searched the net and I found a few indications that it is possible, but there is very little info how to do it.

Just to be clear. With DRPMs i mean deltaRPMs. And with implementation i mean What yum plugins are necessary and what has to be done on the yum repository to make it work.


BR
Janez

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Farkas Levente
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

On 11/25/2009 01:00 PM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> Has anybody successfully implemented DRPMs on centos 5.x?
> I searched the net and I found a few indications that it is possible,
> but there is very little info how to do it.
>
> Just to be clear. With DRPMs i mean deltaRPMs. And with implementation i
> mean What yum plugins are necessary and what has to be done on the yum
> repository to make it work.

yes i do. yum-presto and deltarpm are easy but you've to build a custom
createrepo packages.

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

On 11/25/2009 12:00 PM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> Has anybody successfully implemented DRPMs on centos 5.x?
> I searched the net and I found a few indications that it is possible,
> but there is very little info how to do it.

We are not doing this in CentOS itself, since it changes what is
delivered and audited / tested with the distro and the upstream systems.
It also changes the state of what you might refer to as 'supported' and
'secure' by third party vendors.

Ofcourse you are free to set this up for yourself and work out if any of
the fallouts are even applicable or you and if the change in risk and
its perception has any implications to your usecase.


--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax
GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Janez Kosmrlj
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

Do you have some manual or howto you used to do it? Like i said, there is wery litle info on the web, how to do it.


On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:

On 11/25/2009 01:00 PM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:

> Has anybody successfully implemented DRPMs on centos 5.x?

> I searched the net and I found a few indications that it is possible,

> but there is very little info how to do it.

>

> Just to be clear. With DRPMs i mean deltaRPMs. And with implementation i

> mean What yum plugins are necessary and what has to be done on the yum

> repository to make it work.



yes i do. yum-presto and deltarpm are easy but you've to build a custom

createrepo packages.



--

*Levente * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Janez Kosmrlj
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

OK I figgured out the client part. But unfortunately this was the easy part.
I still can't figure out, what i'm doing wrong on the server.
I tried installing deltarpm package from epel and the newest createrepo package from atrpms (deltarpm from here won't install because it is build against a newer rpm package and I don't like to change the rpm package on my system).

But when i run: createrepo --database* --deltas* -s sha --oldpackagedirs /dir /dir i get some obscure python errors, that I can't figure out.

I tried the same commandon on an fedora 11 machine wiht the default fedora packages installed and it works without problems. As far as i can see the versions of createrepo on fedora and centos (the atrpms package) are the same. the only different part is the python version, but that shouldn't be the problem, since I looked at the .spec file from createrepo and it only requires python 2.1 and centos has 2.4.


Does someone have a newer createrepo rpm package, that works on centos?

BR

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Janez Kosmrlj <postnalista@googlemail.com> wrote:

Do you have some manual or howto you used to do it? Like i said, there is wery litle info on the web, how to do it.



On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:


On 11/25/2009 01:00 PM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:

> Has anybody successfully implemented DRPMs on centos 5.x?

> I searched the net and I found a few indications that it is possible,

> but there is very little info how to do it.

>

> Just to be clear. With DRPMs i mean deltaRPMs. And with implementation i

> mean What yum plugins are necessary and what has to be done on the yum

> repository to make it work.



yes i do. yum-presto and deltarpm are easy but you've to build a custom

createrepo packages.



--

*Levente * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos





_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Janez Kosmrlj
<postnalista@googlemail.com> wrote:
> OK I figgured out the client part. But unfortunately this was the easy part.
> I still can't figure out, what i'm doing wrong on the server.
> I tried installing deltarpm package from epel and the newest createrepo
> package from atrpms (deltarpm from here won't install because it is build
> against a newer rpm package and I don't like to change the rpm package on my
> system).
> But when i run: createrepo --database* --deltas* -s sha --oldpackagedirs
> /dir /dir i get some obscure python errors, that I can't figure out.

Maybe pastebin it so people can help

Cheers Didi

--

My www page: www.ribalba.de
Email / Jabber: ribalba@gmail.com
Skype : ribalba
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Janez Kosmrlj
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

OK this is the error I get.

createrepo --database* --deltas -s sha --oldpackagedirs . .

Traceback (most recent call last):
* File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 222, in ?
*** main(sys.argv[1:])

* File "/usr/share/createrepo/genpkgmetadata.py", line 196, in main
*** mdgen.doPkgMetadata()
* File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/__init__.py", line 358, in doPkgMetadata
*** self.writeMetadataDocs(packages)

* File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/__init__.py", line 503, in writeMetadataDocs
*** self._do_delta_rpm_package(po)
* File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/__init__.py", line 598, in _do_delta_rpm_package

*** opd = self._get_old_package_dict() # yes I could make this a property but <shrug>
* File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/createrepo/__init__.py", line 642, in _get_old_package_dict
*** self.callback.log("Skipping %s package "

NameError: global name 'pkg' is not defined


Br

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann <ribalba@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Janez Kosmrlj

<postnalista@googlemail.com> wrote:

> OK I figgured out the client part. But unfortunately this was the easy part.

> I still can't figure out, what i'm doing wrong on the server.

> I tried installing deltarpm package from epel and the newest createrepo

> package from atrpms (deltarpm from here won't install because it is build

> against a newer rpm package and I don't like to change the rpm package on my

> system).

> But when i run: createrepo --database* --deltas* -s sha --oldpackagedirs

> /dir /dir i get some obscure python errors, that I can't figure out.



Maybe pastebin it so people can help



Cheers Didi



--



My www page: www.ribalba.de

Email / Jabber: ribalba@gmail.com

Skype : ribalba

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Farkas Levente
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

On 11/27/2009 11:14 AM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
> OK I figgured out the client part. But unfortunately this was the easy part.
> I still can't figure out, what i'm doing wrong on the server.
> I tried installing deltarpm package from epel and the newest createrepo
> package from atrpms (deltarpm from here won't install because it is
> build against a newer rpm package and I don't like to change the rpm
> package on my system).
> But when i run:* /createrepo --database --deltas -s sha
> --oldpackagedirs /dir /dir/* i get some obscure python errors, that I
> can't figure out.
>
> I tried the same commandon on an fedora 11 machine wiht the default
> fedora packages installed and it works without problems. As far as i can
> see the versions of createrepo on fedora and centos (the atrpms package)
> are the same. the only different part is the python version, but that
> shouldn't be the problem, since I looked at the .spec file from
> createrepo and it only requires python 2.1 and centos has 2.4.
>
> Does someone have a newer createrepo rpm package, that works on centos?

you need newer createrepo and yum-presto:
http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/i386/other/RPMS/
and don't set checkum eg i used to use this command:
-----------------------------------------
createrepo -c /var/cache/createrepo -d --update --checkts --skip-stat
--deltas --oldpackagedirs <dir> <dir>
-----------------------------------------
of course create a /var/cache/createrepo before run, or if you've time:
-----------------------------------------
createrepo -d --deltas --oldpackagedirs <dir> <dir>
-----------------------------------------

--
Levente "Si vis pacem para bellum!"
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Janez Kosmrlj
 
Default CentOS 5 and DRPM

I finally managed to do it.
server:
I had to rebuild the latest createrepo package from sourcerpm:
wget http://createrepo.baseurl.org/download/createrepo-0.9.8-1.src.rpm

rpm2cpio createrepo-0.9.8-1.src.rpm | cpio -idmv --no-absolute-filenames
change yum dependency to yum >= 3.2.22 in the spec file
rpmbuild -bb createrepo.spec
install freshly build createrepo package
install deltarpm from epel

createrepo --database* --deltas -s sha --oldpackagedirs ../base/ .

client:
deltarpm from epel
rebuild yum-presto >= 0.4
rpmbuild --rebuild http://www.lesbg.com/jdieter/presto/yum-presto-0.4.1-1.fc7.src.rpm

install fresh yum-presto package
in your updates yum repos conf file add deltarpm=http://updateserver/path_to_updatedir



On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas@lfarkas.org> wrote:

On 11/27/2009 11:14 AM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:

> OK I figgured out the client part. But unfortunately this was the easy part.

> I still can't figure out, what i'm doing wrong on the server.

> I tried installing deltarpm package from epel and the newest createrepo

> package from atrpms (deltarpm from here won't install because it is

> build against a newer rpm package and I don't like to change the rpm

> package on my system).

> But when i run:* /createrepo --database *--deltas *-s sha

> --oldpackagedirs /dir /dir/* i get some obscure python errors, that I

> can't figure out.

>

> I tried the same commandon on an fedora 11 machine wiht the default

> fedora packages installed and it works without problems. As far as i can

> see the versions of createrepo on fedora and centos (the atrpms package)

> are the same. the only different part is the python version, but that

> shouldn't be the problem, since I looked at the .spec file from

> createrepo and it only requires python 2.1 and centos has 2.4.

>

> Does someone have a newer createrepo rpm package, that works on centos?



you need newer createrepo and yum-presto:

http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/i386/other/RPMS/

and don't set checkum eg i used to use this command:

-----------------------------------------

createrepo -c /var/cache/createrepo -d --update --checkts --skip-stat

--deltas --oldpackagedirs <dir> <dir>

-----------------------------------------

of course create a /var/cache/createrepo before run, or if you've time:

-----------------------------------------

createrepo -d --deltas --oldpackagedirs <dir> <dir>

-----------------------------------------



--

*Levente * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "Si vis pacem para bellum!"

_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org