Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM
mcclnx mcc

Default install CENTOS 5.4 X86_64 failed???

I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet. I tried to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM start install:

parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open

anyone know why?

Should I download it again from any good site?

If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 PM
"Dennis Kibbe"

> I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet. I tried
> to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM
> start install:
>
> parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open
>
> anyone know why?
>
> Should I download it again from any good site?
>
> If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?
>
> Thanks.

Did you check that the DVD was good with mediacheck? md5sum'ed the ISO? No
need to download again if the ISO is OK.

dennisk
--
"Free as in Freedom"
Free Software Foundation

Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 14:47 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> > I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet. I tried
> > to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM
> > start install:
> >
> > parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open
> >
> > anyone know why?
> >
> > Should I download it again from any good site?
> >
> > If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Did you check that the DVD was good with mediacheck? md5sum'ed the ISO? No
> need to download again if the ISO is OK.
>
> dennisk

Also, burn at the slowest speed to ensure that there are no errors. I
have had this problem and solved it by burning at a slow speed, although
it will take a lot longer to burn the DVD.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM
RedShift

Tait Clarridge wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 14:47 -0700, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
>>> I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet. I tried
>>> to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM
>>> start install:
>>>
>>> parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open
>>>
>>> anyone know why?
>>>
>>> Should I download it again from any good site?
>>>
>>> If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> Did you check that the DVD was good with mediacheck? md5sum'ed the ISO? No
>> need to download again if the ISO is OK.
>>
>> dennisk
>
> Also, burn at the slowest speed to ensure that there are no errors. I
> have had this problem and solved it by burning at a slow speed, although
> it will take a lot longer to burn the DVD.

Burning at a slower speed usually does NOT increase burn quality. You may have a bad writer or bad DVD R's. Use DVD-R's for maximum compatibility.

Glenn

Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
John R Pierce

RedShift wrote:
> Burning at a slower speed usually does NOT increase burn quality. You may have a bad writer or bad DVD R's. Use DVD-R's for maximum compatibility.

not quite. with modern high speed DVD burners, like 16X and such,
burns faster than 8X are burned in a CAV mode (constant angular
velocity) where the data transfer rate speeds up as it gets farther
along on the disk. I've found the read error rate is significantly
higher towards the end (outer tracks) of full DVDs burned this way, but
disks burned at 8X are CLV (constant linear velocity), where the RPM
drops as its burning to maintain a constant data rate, and on disks
burned this way, I get far fewer read errors.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Timo Schoeler

thus John R Pierce spake:
> RedShift wrote:
>> Burning at a slower speed usually does NOT increase burn quality.
>> You may have a bad writer or bad DVD R's. Use DVD-R's for maximum
>> compatibility.
>>

> not quite. with modern high speed DVD burners, like 16X and such,
> burns faster than 8X are burned in a CAV mode (constant angular
> velocity) where the data transfer rate speeds up as it gets farther
> along on the disk. I've found the read error rate is significantly
> higher towards the end (outer tracks) of full DVDs burned this way,
> but disks burned at 8X are CLV (constant linear velocity), where the
> RPM drops as its burning to maintain a constant data rate, and on
> disks burned this way, I get far fewer read errors.

FWIW, speaking about Audio stuff one can actually *hear* it. Really.
Here's some good information on speeds etc, too:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-media-concepts.htm

HTH,

Timo

Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM
mark

RedShift wrote:
> Tait Clarridge wrote:

>>> Did you check that the DVD was good with mediacheck? md5sum'ed the ISO?
>>> No need to download again if the ISO is OK.

>> Also, burn at the slowest speed to ensure that there are no errors. I have
>> had this problem and solved it by burning at a slow speed, although it
>> will take a lot longer to burn the DVD.
>>
> Burning at a slower speed usually does NOT increase burn quality. You may
> have a bad writer or bad DVD R's. Use DVD-R's for maximum compatibility.

Sure it does. For example, what's the alleged speed of the writer... and what's
the alleged speed of the DVD itself? I made a coaster or two, just in the last
year (don't burn a lot of CD's or DVD's), and once I slowed down the writer, it
came out fine.

mark

Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Kwan Lowe

2009/11/24 mcclnx mcc <mcclnx@yahoo.com.tw>:
> I just download CENTOS 5.4 DVD ISO X86_64 version from internet. *I tried to install it on DELL server and get following error message before RPM start install:
>
> * parted_1.8.1-23.els.x86_64.rpm can NOT open
>
> anyone know why?
>
> Should I download it again from any good site?
>
> If I install CENTOS 5.3 and use yum update, will it go to CENTOS 5.4?

As others have suggested, verify both that the ISO is good and that
the burn is good. To verify the ISO, run md5sum against the ISO file:

md5sum centos_5.4-xx.x.x.iso

The checksum should match the ones posted on the CentOS site or your
mirror. Look at the md5sum.txt file and compare to your computed
checksum. For example:

92cab2977a58ce422130e5c655dc8513 CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

If you have a bad ISO, the easiest way I've found to "repair" it is to
use a torrent client. During the initial torrent download it will
compute the error blocks and only copy those portions. Saves a bunch
of time and guarantees a good download. In some places FTP will never
complete successfully..

Once you have downloaded good iso, burn to disk at a slow speed. 2X
usually works best for me. Once you burn you can also run md5sum
against the physical DVD or use the built-in disk check in the initial
part of the installation.

BTW, instead of burning the full DVD iso, I generally only burn the
boot.iso from the images directory. This is a much smaller burn and
less prone to error. I mount the actual DVD iso as a loopback mount
on another server and point my installation to that other server via
the network.