Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Timo Schoeler

Default CERN using RHEL/CentOS?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Eduardo Grosclaude

Probably Scientific Linux: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/

--
Eduardo Grosclaude
Universidad Nacional del Comahue

Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Timo Schoeler

Old 11-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/24/2009 09:10 AM, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
>> I just did my daily news scan and saw some screenshots that illustrate
>> the press release [0] announcing the first collisions at the LHC.
> Probably Scientific Linux: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/

There is reasonable info off the grapevine that no, they dont use
scilinux everywhere - and there are large number of CentOS installs at cern.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh

Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Timo Schoeler

Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/24/2009 10:19 AM, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> http://www.seoexpertconsultants.com/index.php?linux&release=Scientific%205.1
>
> So no way to decide from screenshots what they run...

We can always ask atleast some of their admin people are on this list
as well!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Jim Perrin

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/24/2009 10:19 AM, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>> http://www.seoexpertconsultants.com/index.php?linux&release=Scientific%205.1
>>
>> So no way to decide from screenshots what they run...
>
> We can always ask atleast some of their admin people are on this list
> as well!

That would make for a hell of a press release too!

"Linux (specifically CentOS) responsible for LHC blackhole that
destroyed the world!"

Just think of the publicity we'd get!
</snark>

/no I don't think it'll destroy the world. Yes, I think some of the
researchers are smoking crack if they think the LHC events are coming
back in time to destroy itself.

George Orwell

Old 11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Timo Schoeler

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Rick Barnes

On 11/24/2009 07:04 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> That would make for a hell of a press release too!
>
> "Linux (specifically CentOS) responsible for LHC blackhole that
> destroyed the world!"
>
> Just think of the publicity we'd get!

No worse than getting CentOS getting blamed for hacking web servers
;-)

Rick

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM
"Brent L. Bates"

I was under the impression that CERN uses Scientific Linux, with some
local additions, not CentOS. SL is another RedHat rebuild.

--

Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.)
M.S. 912 Phone757) 865-1400, x204