Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Craig White

Default Recommend Mail Server

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 10:45 -0500, Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> will bring?
> TIA,
----
as root...

yum install postfix system-switch-mail
# edit /etc/postfix/main.conf
system-switch-mail # choose postfix, confirm
# done

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Susan Day

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

yum install postfix system-switch-mail

# edit /etc/postfix/main.conf

system-switch-mail # choose postfix, confirm

# done

Craig, I stopped qmail, which I had installed outside of yum, turning off sendmail first, then I just did a yum install postfix and (I believe) /etc/init.d/postfix start or some such and it's sending email. All well, or should I do a yum remove postfix and then your commands?

TIA,
Suzie

Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 13:30 -0500, Susan Day wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>
> wrote:
> yum install postfix system-switch-mail
> # edit /etc/postfix/main.conf
> system-switch-mail # choose postfix, confirm
> # done
>
> Craig, I stopped qmail, which I had installed outside of yum, turning
> off sendmail first, then I just did a yum install postfix and (I
> believe) /etc/init.d/postfix start or some such and it's sending
> email. All well, or should I do a yum remove postfix and then your
> commands?
----
No but you need to do this then...

chkconfig postfix on
chkconfig sendmail off

and if there is some mechanism for starting qmail on startup, you will
have to disable it...perhaps there is a sysv initscript that you can
discover here...

chkconfig --list

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> will bring?

See my slightly prior post on: Re: [CentOS]
smtp+pop3+imap+tls+webmail+anti spam+anti virus

It points you to:
http://howtoforge.net/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-fedora-10

Now granted this is for FC10, but I suspect it would be easy to fit into
Centos.

Also the patch to Postfix is for quota support. If you don't need
quotas, you canprobably skip that part.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Eero Volotinen

Susan Day wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com
> <mailto:craigwhite@azapple.com>> wrote:
>
> No but you need to do this then...
>
> chkconfig postfix on
> chkconfig sendmail off
>
> and if there is some mechanism for starting qmail on startup, you will
> have to disable it...perhaps there is a sysv initscript that you can

qmail usually uses daemon-tools. check supervise man page.

--
Eero

Old 11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:55:38AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> Susan Day wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> > yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> > will bring?
>
> SMTP only provides for relaying mail. a mail server typically needs
> a MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
> (message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
> agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).
>
> any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. the usual
> alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
> configure than sendmail.

but then what ISN'T simpler to configure than sendmail?

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 01:59:40PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> It points you to:
> http://howtoforge.net/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-fedora-10
>
> Now granted this is for FC10, but I suspect it would be easy to fit into
> Centos.

Please, for the love of god and country, do not follow garbage
like this. Under "1. Preliminary Note" is this text:

"You should make sure that the firewall is off (at least for
now) and that SELinux is disabled (this is important!)".

Documents that advocate disabling SELinux should be tossed
in a pile and set on fire. Documents that tell you to
disable your firewall with no mention in the remaining
portion of the document to reenable it post install or
how to properly configure it should join the burn pile.

Howtoforge, while perhaps useful for *something* at *some*
point in time, more often than not provides information
which will either break your system outright or lead to
tears and suffering before bedtime.

John

--
When there are too many policemen, there can be no liberty. When there are
too many soldiers, there can be no peace. When there are too many lawyers,

-- Lin Yutang (10 October 1895 - 26 March 1976), Chinese writer and translator,
as quoted in Alexander, James (2005). The World's Funniest Laws. Cheam: Crombie
Jardine. pp. page 6

Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Les Mikesell

fred smith wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:55:38AM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Susan Day wrote:
>>> Hi;
>>> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
>>> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
>>> will bring?
>> SMTP only provides for relaying mail. a mail server typically needs
>> a MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
>> (message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
>> agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).
>>
>> any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. the usual
>> alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
>> configure than sendmail.
>

> but then what ISN'T simpler to configure than sendmail?

Hardly anything, given that it is almost completely done for you in the
supplied /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file. You just have to fix the
intentionally-borked DAEMON_OPTIONS if you want to receive outside mail,
fill in SMART_HOST if you'd like another machine to relay for you, and
add entries in the access file for networks you want to relay for. And
restarting the sendmail service will do the updates you need after
changing these files.

Beyond that, you'd probably want to add a milter like MimeDefang so you
can do anything complex and non-standard in perl.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Craig White

> fred smith wrote:
> >> SMTP only provides for relaying mail. a mail server typically needs
> >> a MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
> >> (message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
> >> agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).
> >>
> >> any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. the usual
> >> alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
> >> configure than sendmail.
> >

> > but then what ISN'T simpler to configure than sendmail?
> >

> Hardly anything, given that it is almost completely done for you in the
> supplied /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file. You just have to fix the
> intentionally-borked DAEMON_OPTIONS if you want to receive outside mail,
> fill in SMART_HOST if you'd like another machine to relay for you, and
> add entries in the access file for networks you want to relay for. And
> restarting the sendmail service will do the updates you need after
> changing these files.
----
This reminds me of the Woody Allen movie where they asked the couple,
how often they had sex and the man said, "hardly ever, maybe only twice
a week" and the woman said "it seems like all of the time...maybe twice
a week"

Craig

believed to be clean.