Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   Recommend Mail Server (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/285017-recommend-mail-server.html)

Susan Day 11-23-2009 02:45 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
Hi;
I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?
TIA,
Suzie

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Dhiraj Chatpar 11-23-2009 03:50 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
Postfix.. Check it out at http://www.postfix.org. Its very powerful and is the future of mailing.
RgdsDhiraj

Charles de Gaulle *- "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs."


On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 21:15, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi;
I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?
TIA,
Suzie


_______________________________________________

CentOS mailing list

CentOS@centos.org

http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

"Kaplan, Andrew H." 11-23-2009 03:51 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
Hi there --
*
The postfix e-mail server is one possibility.




From: centos-bounces@centos.org
[mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On Behalf Of Susan Day
Sent:
Monday, November 23, 2009 10:45 AM
To: CentOS mailing
list
Subject: [CentOS] Recommend Mail Server


Hi;
I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that
I can yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will
bring?
TIA,
Suzie


The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
dispose of the e-mail.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Eero Volotinen 11-23-2009 03:51 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum?
> I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Postfix

--
Eero,
RHCE
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

John R Pierce 11-23-2009 03:55 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> will bring?

SMTP only provides for relaying mail. a mail server typically needs
a MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
(message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).

any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. the usual
alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
configure than sendmail.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Ron Loftin 11-23-2009 04:00 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 10:45 -0500, Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> will bring?

As others have already suggested, consider Postfix.

I'm putting in my $0.02(US) so I can add my experience when I first had
a need for a decent MTA. I had used Sendmail in the past, but I didn't
want to fight with the arcane syntax of the config files, and at that
time the add-on management tools and scripts were not nearly as friendly
to a beginner.

When Postfix was suggested to me, I started reading the docs on their
Web site, and discovered that the learning curve is nowhere near as
steep as it is with Sendmail. So far, Postfix has done everything I
have needed, and with a LOT less pain.

As always, YMMV.

> TIA,
> Suzie
> _______________________________________________

--
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

zeroironhack 11-23-2009 04:07 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
See sendmail, postfix, Exim, qmail, dovecot, cyrus, Zimbra all related
mail world.

regards,
Santiago N.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

El lun, 23-11-2009 a las 08:55 -0800, John R Pierce escribió:
> Susan Day wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can
> > yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future
> > will bring?
>
> SMTP only provides for relaying mail. a mail server typically needs
> a MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA
> (message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user
> agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).
>
> any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. the usual
> alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to
> configure than sendmail.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Gilbert Sebenste 11-23-2009 04:15 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ron Loftin wrote:

> As others have already suggested, consider Postfix.
>
> I'm putting in my $0.02(US) so I can add my experience when I first had
> a need for a decent MTA. I had used Sendmail in the past, but I didn't
> want to fight with the arcane syntax of the config files, and at that
> time the add-on management tools and scripts were not nearly as friendly
> to a beginner.
>
> When Postfix was suggested to me, I started reading the docs on their
> Web site, and discovered that the learning curve is nowhere near as
> steep as it is with Sendmail. So far, Postfix has done everything I
> have needed, and with a LOT less pain.
>
> As always, YMMV.

+1. Let me throw in something else. If youa re sending more than one email
at a time (to more than one person simultaneously), Postfix will beat
Sendmail. It can handle high loads better than Sendmail as well. Is it the
fastest MTA out there? Doing some Google Fu some time ago, it's right
there with the very fastest ones. For my job, I need to send out emergency
notifications to 400 people at once. With Sendmail, that took over 7
minutes. With Postfix, that takes seconds, and mostly because of the
"handshaking" with the downstream host. If it's fast, I haven't even got
time to send the message, get to a command prompt and type "mailq" and see
it leaving the outbox queue...because it is already gone!

Gilbert

************************************************** *****************************
Gilbert Sebenste ********
(My opinions only!) ******
************************************************** *****************************
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Timo Schoeler 11-23-2009 04:15 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
thus Susan Day spake:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum?
> I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?
> TIA,
> Suzie

postfix rocks. :)

HTH,

Timo
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Timo Schoeler 11-23-2009 04:22 PM

Recommend Mail Server
 
>> As others have already suggested, consider Postfix.
>>
>> I'm putting in my $0.02(US) so I can add my experience when I first had
>> a need for a decent MTA. I had used Sendmail in the past, but I didn't
>> want to fight with the arcane syntax of the config files, and at that
>> time the add-on management tools and scripts were not nearly as friendly
>> to a beginner.
>>
>> When Postfix was suggested to me, I started reading the docs on their
>> Web site, and discovered that the learning curve is nowhere near as
>> steep as it is with Sendmail. So far, Postfix has done everything I
>> have needed, and with a LOT less pain.
>>
>> As always, YMMV.
>
> +1. Let me throw in something else. If youa re sending more than one email
> at a time (to more than one person simultaneously), Postfix will beat
> Sendmail. It can handle high loads better than Sendmail as well. Is it the
> fastest MTA out there? Doing some Google Fu some time ago, it's right
> there with the very fastest ones. For my job, I need to send out emergency
> notifications to 400 people at once. With Sendmail, that took over 7
> minutes. With Postfix, that takes seconds, and mostly because of the
> "handshaking" with the downstream host. If it's fast, I haven't even got
> time to send the message, get to a command prompt and type "mailq" and see
> it leaving the outbox queue...because it is already gone!
>
> Gilbert

I can second this; having deployed a bunch of mailing list servers
myself, I can tell postfix is _very_ efficient. One can tweak it even
further using multiple instances [0], thusly each 'tuneable' to special
purposes (e.g., serving mailing lists).

exim [1] also is very powerful and on some topics even more
configureable, but IMHO not as easily implemented as postfix and, due to
it's design, not as efficient.

[0] -- http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

[1] -- http://exim.org/

> ************************************************** *****************************
> Gilbert Sebenste ********
> (My opinions only!) ******
> ************************************************** *****************************
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.