Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Susan Day

Default Recommend Mail Server

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

Susan Day wrote:

> Hi;

> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can

> yum? I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future

> will bring?

SMTP only provides for relaying mail. * *a mail server typically needs

a *MTA (message transfer agent, smtp such as sendmail, postfix), a MDA

(message delivery agent, such as procmail), and a MUA (message user

agent, such as POP, IMAP, and various local unix mail readers).

any mail server is only as secure as you configure it. * * the usual

alternative to sendmail is postfix, which many people find simpler to

configure than sendmail.

Thanks!
Suzie

Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Les Mikesell

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Ron Loftin wrote:
>
>> As others have already suggested, consider Postfix.
>>
>> I'm putting in my $0.02(US) so I can add my experience when I first had
>> a need for a decent MTA. I had used Sendmail in the past, but I didn't
>> want to fight with the arcane syntax of the config files, and at that
>> time the add-on management tools and scripts were not nearly as friendly
>> to a beginner.
>>
>> When Postfix was suggested to me, I started reading the docs on their
>> Web site, and discovered that the learning curve is nowhere near as
>> steep as it is with Sendmail. So far, Postfix has done everything I
>> have needed, and with a LOT less pain.
>>
>> As always, YMMV.
>
> +1. Let me throw in something else. If youa re sending more than one email
> at a time (to more than one person simultaneously), Postfix will beat
> Sendmail. It can handle high loads better than Sendmail as well. Is it the
> fastest MTA out there? Doing some Google Fu some time ago, it's right
> there with the very fastest ones. For my job, I need to send out emergency
> notifications to 400 people at once. With Sendmail, that took over 7
> minutes.

That doesn't make any sense unless you have a backed up queue with at
least many thousands of messages - in which case you should tune
sendmail to use multiple queue directories.

> With Postfix, that takes seconds, and mostly because of the
> "handshaking" with the downstream host.

SMTP handshaking has to follow standards. The difference must really be
in DNS lookup time. Sendmail does several more DNS lookups per delivery
than postfix, but unless something is broken, DNS should be fast and
certainly shouldn't account for 7 minutes on 400 messages.

> If it's fast, I haven't even got
> time to send the message, get to a command prompt and type "mailq" and see
> it leaving the outbox queue...because it is already gone!

That should be the same for sendmail.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Les Mikesell

Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum?
> I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Postfix is probably a reasonable choice, but I'm curious as to how you
reached the decision that you don't want to use the standard,
mostly-preconfigured tool without already knowing anything about the
other choices. Sendmail may have a long history of exploits back in the
day with it was monolithic and ran as root, but now it is probably the
most carefully audited piece of code shipped in the distribution. The
milter interface developed for sendmail (and now also implemented in
postfix) lets you add functionality that wasn't designed in, so it is
hard to imagine a mail job or environment that either couldn't handle.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Drew

I know everyone else has said it but postfix is a great replacement
for sendmail.

Another tool I've found that I like is ssmtp. It's not a replacement
for sendmail/postfix by any stretch but if you want a simple down &
dirty tool to send email from an internal server to your main email
server it's good. I use it on a server at home and on test rigs at
work for emailing results of cron jobs to my own account. Don't know
if it's available in yum as I haven't used it on a CentOS box yet.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie