Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Rob Kampen

Default dnsmasq - where to use? where not?

Hi list,
On updating my server today, I noted that dnsmasq was updated, I do not
recall installing this onto my server as it is running bind/named and
dhcpd, thus why does it need dnsmasq?

So I did a
$> sudo yum remove dnsmasq
to find out what rpm / yum thinks about it - I get a list of
NetworkManager(-glib) removals
evolution(-connector) removals
krb5-auth-dialog also......
I think I can live without NetworkManager and evolution on this server,
but why krb5-auth-dialog??

Any suggestions appreciated.
TIA
Rob

Old 11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Rob Kampen wrote on Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:18:46 -0500:

> On updating my server today, I noted that dnsmasq was updated, I do not
> recall installing this onto my server as it is running bind/named and
> dhcpd, thus why does it need dnsmasq?

Some packages require it, for instance xen/libvirt.

> $> sudo yum remove dnsmasq

This won't show you the dependencies. Use rpm -e --test.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany