Old 11-22-2009, 05:23 PM
"Ben Mohilef"

Default Via EPIA m10000 Nemehiah

Does anyone else have one of these on 24/7 running RHEL 5.4 or Centos 5.4 ??
That box mysteriously stops ( no crash data, it just stops) hours or days after boot, with or without X.
Cntl-Alt-Delete reboots it without power cycling. The usual diagnostics (memtest and fsck) return no
errors. Works great until it freezes. No evidence of kernel oops anywhere.

If others report the same issues we will scrap the board. Otherwise I will continue to investigate what
is happening, since it is no fun to pull the board out and replace with an atom processor and it is not
critical.

The hard disk in it came from an Athlon M board that died an untimely death this week. Service
cpufreq reports "unavailable" so I am assuming that it is turned off. Could the cpu freqquency control
be doing something without tellling us?

We havea power monitor on it so I can discern if it dies with max cpu activity or not. Also I am leaving
it run "top" without screensaver so I can see if a particular load or program is borking it. Am I missing
something obvious here?

TIA.

benm

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 22/11/09 18:23, Ben Mohilef wrote:
> That box mysteriously stops ( no crash data, it just stops) hours or days after boot, with or without X.
> Cntl-Alt-Delete reboots it without power cycling. The usual diagnostics (memtest and fsck) return no
> errors. Works great until it freezes. No evidence of kernel oops anywhere.

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep model
model : 9
model name : VIA Nehemiah

$ uptime
01:25:57 up 40 days, 5:26, 11 users, load average: 1.15, 1.03, 1.01

$ uname -r
2.6.18-164.el5

I dont seem to have any problems ( use this machine as a cheap h/w
random number generator, so its always under load ~ 1 )

- KB

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
"Ben Mohilef"

> I dont seem to have any problems ( use this machine as a cheap h/w
> random number generator, so its always under load ~ 1 )

Same board, same model. Thanks for the information.

This looked and felt like an acpi induced problem. I discovered that acpid was turned on for some
reason, so I turned off the acpid daemon and it has behaved well for the last day. Are you booting
yours with acpi=off as well ??

Thanks again.

regards,

benm

Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Tim Nelson

----- "Karanbir Singh" <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 23/11/09 17:50, Ben Mohilef wrote:
> > This looked and felt like an acpi induced problem. I discovered that
> acpid was turned on for some
> > reason, so I turned off the acpid daemon and it has behaved well for
> the last day. Are you booting
> > yours with acpi=off as well ??
>
> nope, just the straight kernel and initrd. nothing special in there.
>
> this is actually quite a boring standard install with almost nothing
> changed on there from what is left behind by a minimal 5.1 install (
> and
> its been updated nightly since then )
>
> - KB

Is it possible you have an application that runs at odd times that is compiled for the wrong arch? IIRC the C3 is i586 compatible (almost i686 but missing something stupid like 'cmov' instruction). I've got a handful of C3 based systems in my personal lab and run into 'oddities' every now and then because of this...

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Karanbir Singh

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 23/11/09 21:34, Tim Nelson wrote:

> Is it possible you have an application that runs at odd times that is compiled for the wrong arch? IIRC the C3 is i586 compatible (almost i686 but missing something stupid like 'cmov' instruction). I've got a handful of C3 based systems in my personal lab and run into 'oddities' every now and then because of this...

The Nemehiah is a full i686, cmov etc included.

- KB

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Tim Nelson

----- "Karanbir Singh" <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 23/11/09 21:34, Tim Nelson wrote:
>
> > Is it possible you have an application that runs at odd times that
> is compiled for the wrong arch? IIRC the C3 is i586 compatible (almost
> i686 but missing something stupid like 'cmov' instruction). I've got a
> handful of C3 based systems in my personal lab and run into 'oddities'
> every now and then because of this...
>
> The Nemehiah is a full i686, cmov etc included.
>
> - KB

Ah yes... I'm thinking of the "Samuel 2" C3... different core. Thanks for the info.

--Tim