Old 01-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default System drops off network after a few minutes

On Friday 04 January 2008 11:18:15 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have an Intel SE7525RP2 motherboard with a Yukon Marvel (82541GB
> controller) NIC in it. After installing CentOS 5.1 it functions fine for
> some minutes then looses network connectivity. By coincidence, I was using
> the system to clean some HD's for another and had booted off Knoppix and
> noticed it never exhibited this behavior, the network remained functional
> even overnight when I returned to the system?
>
> I looked through messages and didn't see anything NIC/network related, can
> anyone suggest something to check?

Hi Joseph,
When the network drops, how do you wake it up again?
That might lead us somewhere.
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:55:56 up 4:21, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 AM
John R Pierce

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

I have an Intel SE7525RP2 motherboard with a Yukon Marvel (82541GB
controller) NIC in it. After installing CentOS 5.1 it functions fine
for some minutes then looses network connectivity. By coincidence, I
was using the system to clean some HD’s for another and had booted off
Knoppix and noticed it never exhibited this behavior, the network
remained functional even overnight when I returned to the system?

I looked through messages and didn’t see anything NIC/network related,
can anyone suggest something to check?

if it literally drops in a few minutes, run wireshark and leave it
capturing all traffic on the LAN interface until it craps. then stop the
capture, and look at the last set of packets.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Hi Joseph,
>When the network drops, how do you wake it up again?
>That might lead us somewhere.
>--
>Fajar Priyanto

Given my limited Linux experience, I just reboot
I know, not very helpful, sorry...
jlc

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>if it literally drops in a few minutes, run wireshark and leave it
>capturing all traffic on the LAN interface until it craps. then stop the
>capture, and look at the last set of packets.

John,
I am sure I can stoke this up, but how do I analyze the traffic after? Its sitting idle when this happens, so I suspect there shouldn't be much anyway!
jlc

Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 AM
John R Pierce

Joseph L. Casale wrote:

if it literally drops in a few minutes, run wireshark and leave it
capturing all traffic on the LAN interface until it craps. then stop the
capture, and look at the last set of packets.

John,
I am sure I can stoke this up, but how do I analyze the traffic after? Its sitting idle when this happens, so I suspect there shouldn't be much anyway!

wireshark shows the packets symbolically, in a tree form, where you can
open up and examine the fields of any packet, most all protocols are
formatted nicely. the traffic the last couple seconds before it dies
could be quite interesting, and may well help you solve this.

you might capture the output of `ifconfig -a` both before and after it
fails, and compare. is this using DHCP or static IP ?

are there any events related to networking at the end of the `dmesg`
output right after it bonks ?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:41 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>is this using DHCP or static IP ?

DHCP

>are there any events related to networking at the end of the `dmesg`
>output right after it bonks ?

Darn, never looked there (my bad). I will get it up again this weekend and attempt the wireshark dump and make sure I save the dmesg log.

Thanks!
jlc

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Johnny Hughes

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have an Intel SE7525RP2 motherboard with a Yukon Marvel (82541GB controller) NIC in it. After installing CentOS 5.1 it functions fine for some minutes then looses network connectivity. By coincidence, I was using the system to clean some HD's for another and had booted off Knoppix and noticed it never exhibited this behavior, the network remained functional even overnight when I returned to the system?
>
> I looked through messages and didn't see anything NIC/network related, can anyone suggest something to check?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

Also it might help to do an modinfo of the actual module that is used to
drive the NIC and see what the version is on both OSes.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Kai Schaetzl

I'd do a simple ifconfig first. Networking can be restarted with "service
network restart".

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Friday, January 04, 2008 2:01 PM +0100 Kai Schaetzl