Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Craig White

Default Problem with Samba on CentOS 5.3

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:45 -0500, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I am having an issue with the Samba package, release 3.033375, that
> came bundled with the
> CentOS 5.3 distribution. It seems that even though I created the
> smbpasswd file, located at
> the /etc/samba directory, I am unable to modify the password of the
> users listed in it.
>
> I can run the /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a <username> command as root, and
> even though there
> are no errors, a subsequent check of the smbpasswd file indicates the
> username in question
> is still listed with the series of X's and NO PASSWORD indicator.
>
> I have confirmed through the find command the only instances of
> smbpasswd are those at the
> /etc/samba and /usr/bin locations.
>
> Has anyone seen this issue, and aside from installing samba from
> source, have a solution to
> this problem? Thanks.
----
are you sure that is the file being used?

what is output of the command...

testparm -s |grep passdb

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Eero Volotinen

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> I am having an issue with the Samba package, release 3.033375, that came
> bundled with the
> CentOS 5.3 distribution. It seems that even though I created the
> smbpasswd file, located at
> the /etc/samba directory, I am unable to modify the password of the
> users listed in it.

Is that version still using the old smbpasswd backend? Please put config
file on mailinglist or to pastebin.com

--
Eero

Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
"Kaplan, Andrew H."

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. The output of the testparm command is shown below:

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[roinventory]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
passdb backend = tdbsam

The smbpasswd command is available for backwards compatibility. At the risk of
coming across
as a complete idiot, how does that tie in to this situation?

----
are you sure that is the file being used?

what is output of the command...

testparm -s |grep passdb

Craig

believed to be clean.

dispose of the e-mail.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 PM
"Kaplan, Andrew H."

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. The output from the testparm command is shown below:

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[roinventory]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
passdb backend = tdbsam

Evidently this version of samba is not using smbpasswd backend. If that is the
case what would be the correct command syntax to use here?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Eero Volotinen

Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. The output of the testparm command is shown below:
>

> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[roinventory]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> The smbpasswd command is available for backwards compatibility. At the risk of
> coming across
> as a complete idiot, how does that tie in to this situation?

If you really want to use smbpasswd backend, just change passdb backend
= smbpasswd (in /etc/samba/smb.conf) and go with smbpasswd ..

--
Eero

Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:58 -0500, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. The output of the testparm command is shown below:
>

> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[roinventory]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> The smbpasswd command is available for backwards compatibility. At the risk of
> coming across
> as a complete idiot, how does that tie in to this situation?
----
the passdb is where users/passwords are stored according to your
configuration

You can use tdbdump utility to see the contents of your passdb if you
want.

tdb is the database provided with samba and it stores many more
attributes than the old smbpasswd file and has been the default for
several years now.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:11 PM
John Doe

From: "Kaplan, Andrew H." <AHKAPLAN@PARTNERS.ORG>
>I am having an issue with the Samba package, release 3.033375, that came bundled with the >
>CentOS 5.3 distribution. It seems that even though I created the smbpasswd file, located at >
>the /etc/samba directory, I am unable to modify the password of the users listed in it.
>I can run the /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a <username> command as root, and even though there >
>are no errors, a subsequent check of the smbpasswd file indicates the username in question >
>is still listed with the series of X's and NO PASSWORD indicator.
>I have confirmed through the find command the only instances of smbpasswd are those at the >
>/etc/samba and /usr/bin locations.
>Has anyone seen this issue, and aside from installing samba from source, have a solution to >
>this problem? Thanks.

I have "smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd" in my smb.conf...

JD

Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:58 -0500, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> Hi there --
>
> Thanks for your reply. The output of the testparm command is shown below:
>

> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[roinventory]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
> passdb backend = tdbsam
>
> The smbpasswd command is available for backwards compatibility. At the risk of
> coming across
> as a complete idiot, how does that tie in to this situation?
----
you can read about the different types of passdb's here in Samba's
Official HowTo

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#id2592512

I would recommend using tdbsam as you are doing and you can simply check
the contents of this file by typing 'tdbdump /etc/samba/passdb.tdb'

tdb stands for 'trivial database' and it actually allows you to use more
of the pdb features like setting some policies for users.

The usage of 'passdb = smbpasswd' is the old / flatfile database and all
it really permits is a username and password.

Craig

believed to be clean.