Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM
"Kaplan, Andrew H."

Default Problem with Samba on CentOS 5.3

Title: Problem with Samba on CentOS 5.3

Hi there --

I am having an issue with the Samba package, release 3.033375, that came bundled with the

CentOS 5.3 distribution. It seems that even though I created the smbpasswd file, located at

the /etc/samba directory, I am unable to modify the password of the users listed in it.

I can run the /usr/bin/smbpasswd -a <username> command as root, and even though there

are no errors, a subsequent check of the smbpasswd file indicates the username in question

is still listed with the series of X's and NO PASSWORD indicator.

I have confirmed through the find command the only instances of smbpasswd are those at the

/etc/samba and /usr/bin locations.*

Has anyone seen this issue, and aside from installing samba from source, have a solution to

this problem? Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.