Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Tim Nelson

Default simple NFSv4 setup

----- "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a simple NFSv4 mount between two x86_64 hosts. On
> the
> server, I have this in /etc/exports:
>
> /export $CLIENT(ro,fsid=0)
> /export/qb3 $CLIENT(rw,nohide)
>
> ON $CLIENT, I mount via:
>
> mount -t nfs4 $SERVER:/qb3 /usr/local/sge62/qb3
>
> However:
>
> $ touch /usr/local/sge62/qb3/foo
> touch: cannot touch `/usr/local/sge62/qb3/foo': Read-only file system
>
> I'd really rather not export the pseudo-root read-write, so how do I
> get
> this working? Any hints would be appreciated -- thanks.

Your export:

/export/qb3 $CLIENT(rw,nohide)

And your mount:

mount -t nfs4 $SERVER:/qb3 /usr/local/sge62/qb3

The remote path is wrong. Either that's a typo or could be the cause of your problem?

--Tim

Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 at 4:05pm, Tim Nelson wrote

> ----- "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:

>> /export $CLIENT(ro,fsid=0)
>> /export/qb3 $CLIENT(rw,nohide)

> Your export:
>
> /export/qb3 $CLIENT(rw,nohide)
>
> And your mount:
>
> mount -t nfs4 $SERVER:/qb3 /usr/local/sge62/qb3
>
> The remote path is wrong. Either that's a typo or could be the cause of
> your problem?

No, that's how NFSv4 mounts work -- it's relative to the pseudo-root (the
fsid=0 entry) on the server. And the mount succeeds. But it's a
read-only mount, where it should be rw.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 at 4:05pm, Tim Nelson wrote
>
>> ----- "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17@duke.edu> wrote:
>
>>> /export * * * * $CLIENT(ro,fsid=0)
>>> /export/qb3 * * $CLIENT(rw,nohide)
>
>> Your export:
>>
>> /export/qb3 * * $CLIENT(rw,nohide)
>>
>> And your mount:
>>
>> mount -t nfs4 $SERVER:/qb3 /usr/local/sge62/qb3
>>
>> The remote path is wrong. Either that's a typo or could be the cause of
>> your problem?
>
> No, that's how NFSv4 mounts work -- it's relative to the pseudo-root (the
> fsid=0 entry) on the server. *And the mount succeeds. *But it's a
> read-only mount, where it should be rw.

Not sure if this applies in your FS4 setup, but most of my NFS
permissions errors have stemmed from user ID mismatches on the host
server. My NFS4 mounts are not using any true NFS4 features, however.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 at 9:21am, Kwan Lowe wrote

> Not sure if this applies in your FS4 setup, but most of my NFS
> permissions errors have stemmed from user ID mismatches on the host
> server. My NFS4 mounts are not using any true NFS4 features, however.

My problem isn't a permissions issue -- it's the fact that the mount on
the client is read-only. And NFS4 doesn't rely on numerical UID/GID
matching anymore. It uses the username string (via rpc.idmapd). In any
case, both the usernames and UIDs/GIDs match on these two systems.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 at 5:05pm, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote

> I'm trying to setup a simple NFSv4 mount between two x86_64 hosts. On the
> server, I have this in /etc/exports:
>
> /export $CLIENT(ro,fsid=0)
> /export/qb3 $CLIENT(rw,nohide)
>
> ON $CLIENT, I mount via:
>
> mount -t nfs4 $SERVER:/qb3 /usr/local/sge62/qb3
>
> However:
>
> $ touch /usr/local/sge62/qb3/foo
> touch: cannot touch `/usr/local/sge62/qb3/foo': Read-only file system
>
> I'd really rather not export the pseudo-root read-write, so how do I get
> this working? Any hints would be appreciated -- thanks.

For the archives, my issue was that qb3 was on the /export filesystem. I
instead mounted the filesystem at /export/qb3, and then the above setup
worked.