Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Alan McKay

Default my local mirror stopped working

Hey folks,

I've had a local mirror set up for some time now and it has always
worked, but suddently stopped. I don't think the fact that it
stopped work has anything to do with when I blew away that machine and
changed it from Centos 5.3 to a Fedora Core 11 box. But I'm not sure
how that could make any difference since it is just serving that stuff
over the web. It still works great for Kickstart installs. I still
have a nightly cron job to update from my closest mirror thusly :

rsync -avSHP --delete --exclude "local*" --exclude "isos"
rsync://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/centos/5.3/
/var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/

Here is the error I get when trying to run yum now. Note that I check
for the file it is complaining about and it exists but is .gz format
and not .bz2. I guess I could gunzip then bzip to fix the problem?
But I'd really like to understand why this started.

http://yum/ks/centos/5/updates/x86_64/repodata/filelists.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/filelists.sqlite.bz2 from updates: [Errno
256] No more mirrors to try.

As I've reported before to the list, here is how I've set it up :

* On my PC I've created /var/www/html/ks for doing kickstart
installs, and it shows up at http://192.168.0.222/ks/
* the Centos 5.3 DVDs got downloaded - both 32 bit and 64 bit

mkdir /mnt/C5.3_{32,64}
chmod 0777 /mnt/C5.3_{32,64}
mount -ro loop /home/amckay/Desktop/CentOS-5.3-i386-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/C5.3_32
mount -ro loop /home/amckay/Desktop/CentOS-5.3-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/C5.3_64
mkdir -p /var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/{os,updates}/{i386,x86_64}
pushd /var/www/html/ks/centos/
ln -s 5.3 5
popd
rsync -avHPS /mnt/C5.3_64/ /var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/os/x86_64/
rsync -avHPS /mnt/C5.3_32/ /var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/os/i386/
rsync -avSHP --delete --exclude "local*" --exclude "isos"
rsync://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/centos/5.3/
/var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/
chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/ks/

And when I do a Kickstart install, it works just fine. AFter the
install in the %post I change the Centos-Base.repo to point to my
local repo thus :

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
#mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
baseurl=http://yum/ks/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
#mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
baseurl=http://yum/ks/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

Note that the name "yum" does properly resolve to my box.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Jim Perrin

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> rsync *-avSHP --delete --exclude "local*" --exclude "isos"
> rsync://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/centos/5.3/
> /var/www/html/ks/centos/5.3/

This is your issue. Your rsync command calls the minor version
specifically, which can be a bad thing.

Now that 5.4 has been released, 5.3 is going away, and will be (if it
hasn't already) removed from the mirrors.

If you're going to call it out specifically by version, you'll want to
pay close attention to when the release announcements for new versions
come out.

George Orwell

Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Alan McKay

> This is your issue. Your rsync command *calls the minor version
> specifically, which can be a bad thing.

Aha - OK. The thing is I want to maintain my 5.3 mirror - I guess it
makes sense for me to stop calling rsync for it does it? Since there
will be no more updates to it?

On my mirror I have 5.3 and 5.4, but my "5" symlink points to 5.3. I
guess I should change everything over to include the minor number
then?

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
John R Pierce

Alan McKay wrote:

> On my mirror I have 5.3 and 5.4, but my "5" symlink points to 5.3. I
> guess I should change everything over to include the minor number
> then?

5 updated is 5.4 5.3 is a snapshot in time.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Mogens Kjaer

On 11/18/2009 08:26 PM, Alan McKay wrote:
> On my mirror I have 5.3 and 5.4, but my "5" symlink points to 5.3. I
> guess I should change everything over to include the minor number
> then?

If you mirror "5" as well you'll get the symlink change
automagically when the minor version number changes.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Mobile: +45 22 12 53 25
Email: mk@crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk