Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM

Default version pinning with yum

Well, there's a bug in the globbing for the tcsh with 5.4, and my boss has
filed a bug report. Meanwhile, I downgraded tcsh on those systems whose
users use that as their shell.

Until it's resolved, he wants me to pin the version. Googling, I see
someone a few years ago, answering someone's question, suggested adding
exclude=openoffice*
near the top of /etc/yum.conf.

I also see, more recently, several additional yum-related rpms, such as
yum-versionlock.

Will the first solution work (editing yum.conf), and, if so, for tcsh,
would I need the asterisk, or would
exclude=tcsh
work?

Alternatively, is that deprecated, and if so, which additional yum-related
package is recommended for this?

mark

Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Larry Brigman

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> Well, there's a bug in the globbing for the tcsh with 5.4, and my boss has
> filed a bug report. Meanwhile, I downgraded tcsh on those systems whose
> users use that as their shell.
>
> Until it's resolved, he wants me to pin the version. Googling, I see
> someone a few years ago, answering someone's question, suggested adding
> exclude=openoffice*
> near the top of /etc/yum.conf.
>
> I also see, more recently, several additional yum-related rpms, such as
> yum-versionlock.
>
> Will the first solution work (editing yum.conf), and, if so, for tcsh,
> would I need the asterisk, or would
> exclude=tcsh
> work?

This should work if you are only wanting to exclude one package.
The open office example has the wildcard because it is multiple packages.

Haven't used yum-versionlock but it would need to be loaded on all
machines to apply
the lock. The other method although sometimes outputting more info when doing
'yum update' works as stated.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Larry,

Larry wroote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:33 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Well, there's a bug in the globbing for the tcsh with 5.4, and my boss
>> has filed a bug report. Meanwhile, I downgraded tcsh on those systems
>> whose users use that as their shell.
>>
>> Until it's resolved, he wants me to pin the version. Googling, I see
>> someone a few years ago, answering someone's question, suggested adding
>> exclude=openoffice*
>> near the top of /etc/yum.conf.
>>
>> I also see, more recently, several additional yum-related rpms, such as
>> yum-versionlock.
<snip>
> This should work if you are only wanting to exclude one package.
> The open office example has the wildcard because it is multiple packages.
<snip>
That's what I needed to know, and yup, it's only the one package. Thanks!

mark