Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Ross Walker

Default How to setup High Availability or Redundancy for CentOS 5.3 with Vicidial and Asterisk?

On Nov 17, 2009, at 9:42 PM, Sam Acosta <acosta.sam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> We've been having some problem setting up the High Availability for
> Vicidial and Asterisk with CentOS 5.3.
>
> The VoIP quality are degraded and systems becomes so unstable.
>
> Are there are other better options.

Maybe the poor quality is due to network congestion?

You didn't say what you were using now for HA.

I have heard of people using Xen with PCI pass-through as a way to
provide high-availability to Asterisk. Have 2 Xen boxes with identical
hardware, but that can be problematic.

Probably the best way is to have multiple physical (small 1u boxes)
Asterisk gateways and a central Asterisk router in a VM. Each gateway
is expendible as long as one remains standing, the router will route
calls to the best available gateway. If the router goes down, it can
be brought up in another virtual server. Just need to make sure the
virtualization technology can handle the throughput with as little
additional latency as possible. Xen should be able to as long as you
give the domU enough scheduler credits.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

-Ross