Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
"Jason Pyeron"

Default Backup

man dump

- -
- Jason Pyeron PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Sr. Consultant 10 West 24th Street #100 -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333 Baltimore, Maryland 21218 -
- -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately. Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Jan 3, 2008 3:57 PM, Ruslan Sivak <rsivak@istandfor.com> wrote:
> We have a RHEL2 server that has had one of the drives in the raid array
> fail. I would like to do a full backup of the system before we replace
> the raided drive, in case the second drive decides to die during the
> procedure.
>
> What is the recommended way to back up a linux system? I was thinking
> of doing a snapshot, but the system is ext3 with no LVM. It has been
> suggested to hook up a usb drive and do an rsync of /. Are there any
> better solutions?
>
> The reason I wanted a snapshot is that I wanted to get an image of the
> disk, so that I wouldn't have to reinstall and reconfigure all the apps.

On an EL-2 system you do not have much in the way of 'snap-shot'
technology and in the case of failed drives etc.. they wouldn't be
much better than an rsync, dump, tar etc of the system.

rsync -avSHP --exclude proc / system2:/snapshots/system1/

Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Johnny Hughes

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
> We have a RHEL2 server that has had one of the drives in the raid array
> fail. I would like to do a full backup of the system before we replace
> the raided drive, in case the second drive decides to die during the
> procedure.
> What is the recommended way to back up a linux system? I was thinking
> of doing a snapshot, but the system is ext3 with no LVM. It has been
> suggested to hook up a usb drive and do an rsync of /. Are there any
> better solutions?
> The reason I wanted a snapshot is that I wanted to get an image of the
> disk, so that I wouldn't have to reinstall and reconfigure all the apps.
> Russ

I know this SOMEHOW ties to CentOS ... though I am not quite seeing it
in that post.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Kenneth Porter

--On Thursday, January 03, 2008 6:01 PM -0500 Jason Pyeron