Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
"William Ottley"

Default anyone care to point me in the right direction? LVS

i'm trying to setup LVS, and tried both the lvs-dr and the lvs-nat,
but can't get any to work.
I'm hoping people here can answer a few questions that might help and
shed light onto the situation?

#1 with regards to the Real Servers, is there anything that needs to
be configured other that the http service? I ask this, because I
suspect yes, and it has to do with what type of LVS you have:

1a) lvs-dr: on the RIP of the web servers, create an lo:0 and assign
the VIP to it
1b ) lvs-nat: on the RIP of the web servers, make sure the default gw
points to the inside network card eth1
1b) lvs-nat: on the LVS, with 2 nics, eth1 (private where web servers
are located): 192.168.0.100, and create a nat gateway of
192.168.0.254, where the real web servers gw is, and make it eth1:1

how do I go about getting diagnostic info from all this? pulse? i
can't connect at all to any of the web servers..

If any has the time, i will glady send my configs..

Thanks!

william

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Joshua Gimer

There are several things that I would suggest looking at.

Red Hat has some really good documentation on setting up LVS using
piranha (rpm's are available for CentOS) you can get that here: https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/csgfs/

There is a document outlining the steps that need to be taken when
doing direct routing LVS in /usr/share/piranha-<version>/docs/
HOWTO.direct-routing.

I have had several issues with getting two load balancers setup for
LDAP lookups, I have yet to get them resolved.

Josh G.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Anup Shukla

William Ottley wrote:

i'm trying to setup LVS, and tried both the lvs-dr and the lvs-nat,
but can't get any to work.

LVS-DR did work for me partially, as-in it did not load balance.
But i am sure it was a mistake on my part. Still have to find time and
test it.

#1 with regards to the Real Servers, is there anything that needs to
be configured other that the http service? I ask this, because I
suspect yes, and it has to do with what type of LVS you have:

The http service + firewall rules (if applicable)

1a) lvs-dr: on the RIP of the web servers, create an lo:0 and assign
the VIP to it

Yes.

1b ) lvs-nat: on the RIP of the web servers, make sure the default gw
points to the inside network card eth1

I have found that the default gw is not really a strict requirement.
Worked for me with a different gw too, but i cannot stamp a confirmation
on that. Got to recheck... just in case.

1b) lvs-nat: on the LVS, with 2 nics, eth1 (private where web servers
are located): 192.168.0.100, and create a nat gateway of
192.168.0.254, where the real web servers gw is, and make it eth1:1

Looks Good.

how do I go about getting diagnostic info from all this? pulse? i
can't connect at all to any of the web servers..

1. Are real servers accessible from lvs (ping/arp -n?)
2. Does telnet to port 80 (or the one to which http server is listening
to) on real server from lvs work?

if #1 == yes and #2 == no, it might be the firewall on the real servers.

--
Regards
Anup Shukla

Old 01-03-2008, 10:55 PM
"William Ottley"

thanks Anup for your help, i finally did get lvs-nat working: the
"/proc/../ip_forwarding was not set properly.

My next step is to do LVS-TUN, and i'm stumped on which way to start.
I will have 3 internet network connection on the load balancer

#1 official load balancer (where the webserver dns is pointed to) eth0
#2 eth1, which will have a tun? to connect to a geographical web server
#2 eth2, which is the same as eth1, but a different web server.

so naturally, I need to do an LVS-NAT, BUT. can I have tunneling with
that as well?
And as far as I know, I don't have to worry about the arp...

William

#1 with regards to the Real Servers, is there anything that needs to
be configured other that the http service? I ask this, because I
suspect yes, and it has to do with what type of LVS you have:

1a) lvs-dr: on the RIP of the web servers, create an lo:0 and assign
the VIP to it

You also have to tell the real servers to ignore arp requests for the VIP.