-   -   MyhtTV or Freevo or something else? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/27723-myhttv-freevo-something-else.html)

"Mindaugas" 01-03-2008 01:58 PM

MyhtTV or Freevo or something else?

Hello,

I have the idea brewing for some time in my mind - to build Linux based HTPC. It would be used for movies, cable (analog for now) recording, Stepmania, backup station, etc. And I would like to get some information before proceeding to estimate the cost.

Which one of the Linux projects would you suggest and why? MythTV, Freevo or something else? Is CentOS good for such task or I should better use some more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora?

Also what are hardware requirements? I believe HD 1080p h264 movie playback will set the bar. Which Intel or AMD CPU is enough (but not too expensive) for that? And which video card is more suitable for such task.

HTPC would be connected to Panasonic LCD TV with VGA and HDMI inputs.

Thanks,

Mindaugas

Jim Wildman 01-03-2008 02:32 PM

MyhtTV or Freevo or something else?

As a first project, check out mythdora. It is a Fedora based MythTV
'distro'. I installed it as a demo for a LUG (ie, in less than 2
hours). Also check the hardware discussions on the mythtv wiki/website.

http://g-ding.tv/?q=MythDora

Which one of the Linux projects would you suggest and why? MythTV, Freevo or something else? Is CentOS good for such task or I should better use some more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora?

Also what are hardware requirements? I believe HD 1080p h264 movie playback will set the bar. Which Intel or AMD CPU is enough (but not too expensive) for that? And which video card is more suitable for such task.

HTPC would be connected to Panasonic LCD TV with VGA and HDMI inputs.

Thanks,

Mindaugas

01-03-2008 02:57 PM

MyhtTV or Freevo or something else?

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Mindaugas wrote:
>
> > Which one of the Linux projects would you suggest and why? MythTV,
> > Freevo or something else? Is CentOS good for such task or I should
> > better use some more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora?
> >

> As a first project, check out mythdora. It is a Fedora based
> MythTV 'distro'. I installed it as a demo for a LUG (ie, in
> less than 2 hours). Also check the hardware discussions on
> the mythtv wiki/website.
>
> http://g-ding.tv/?q=MythDora

May also want to check out Linux MCE...it is *very* slick, very easy to
install.

http://www.linuxmce.com/

Mike

"Mindaugas" 01-03-2008 08:16 PM

MyhtTV or Freevo or something else?

> > > Which one of the Linux projects would you suggest and why? MythTV,
> > > Freevo or something else? Is CentOS good for such task or I should
> > > better use some more bleeding edge distribution like Fedora?
> > >
> > As a first project, check out mythdora. It is a Fedora based
> > MythTV 'distro'. I installed it as a demo for a LUG (ie, in
> > less than 2 hours). Also check the hardware discussions on
> > the mythtv wiki/website.
> >
> > http://g-ding.tv/?q=MythDora
>
> May also want to check out Linux MCE...it is *very* slick, very easy to
> install.
>
> http://www.linuxmce.com/

So basically suggestion is MythTV not Freevo!?

And I checked hardware suggestions for both projects. And more or less they are clear. Also saw that 1080p stream decoding needs quite decent CPU.

Mindaugas