Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Default Weird crash with CentOS 5.1

Dear all.

I'm experiencing a weird crash with one of our desktop running CentOS 5.1

We have 5 machines identical, onle one has this problem.

Right after it starts, it will kernel panic. Unfortunately, from the
backtrace this is all I've managed to get : serial port isn't working.
So it's a manual copy of what the screen show.

[<c04721f3>] sync_buffer+0x0/0x33
[<c04bff66>] avc_has_perm+0x3a/0x44
[<c04c055d>] inode_has_perm+0x54
[<f8899829>] ext3_lookup+0x25/0xb7 [ext3]
[<c047b0d1>] do_lookup+0xb4/0x166
[<c047ce5b>] __link_path_walk+0x87a/0xd33
[<c047d35d>] link_path_walk+0x49/0xbd
[<c046f582>] sys_chdir+0x4f/0x57
[<c047d72a>] do_path_lookup+0x20e/0x25e
[<c0470daf>] get_empty_filp+0x99/0x15e
[<c047dfd7>] __path_lookup_intent_open+0x42/0x72
[<c047e056>] path_lookup_open+0xf/0x13
[<c047e15a>] open_namei+0x7b/0x609
[<c046e8ca>] do_filp_open+0x1c/0x31
[<c046f582>] sys_chdir+0x4f/0x57
[<c046e91d>] do_sys_open+0x3e/0xae
[<c046e9ba>] sys_open+0x16/0x18
[<c0404eff>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb
=======================
Code: 0c 29 d0 83 e8 18 c1 e8 03 39 c1 74 29 68 d4 22 8a f8 68 80 01 00 00 68 3e
21 8a f8 68 68 12 8a f8 68 4e 21 8a f8 e8 d0 f1 b8 c7 <0f> 0b 80 01 3e 21 8a f8
83 c4 14 8b 44 24 28 89 44 24 0c 66 8b
EIP: [<f8897626>] dx_probe+0x16e/0x2b4 [ext3] SS:ESP 0068:f7e47cc4
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

This machine is dual booting windows and CentOS. Windows has no
problem and will run just fine (so I believe this is not a hardware
issue).
Interestingly, this machine worked fine for several weeks and one day
decided to crash within the first few seconds of boot.
I have tried with several kernel, including the latest one as of
today: not working any better.

If I boot the CentOS DVD, when it comes to searching for existing
CentOS installation, it will crash just the same.

If I format the linux partition, I can then re-install CentOS, update
it just fine... Then a few days later it will crash just the same
right after booting.

This machine is running a Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard, with 2GB of
DDR2-667MHz RAM, an Intel core-duo quad: Q6600.
It has two 250GB hard drive in RAID1 using the bios RAID support (so I
can have RAID on both Windows and Linux).
It's running the 32 bits version of CentOS 5

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Jean-Yves

Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Jan 3, 2008 8:54 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have 5 machines identical, onle one has this problem.

Odd. Have you checked the memory with memtest?

> This machine is dual booting windows and CentOS. Windows has no
> problem and will run just fine (so I believe this is not a hardware
> issue).

Which version of Windows? This shouldn't make a difference, but it's
been known to cause issues.

> Interestingly, this machine worked fine for several weeks and one day
> decided to crash within the first few seconds of boot.

Anything special happen on that day? Windows updates, linux updates,
application updates etc?

George Orwell

Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Hi

On Jan 4, 2008 2:43 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Odd. Have you checked the memory with memtest?

I haven't. Simply because it runs so well under Windows.

But I had plan to buy new RAM tomorrow, they are so cheap these days...

> Which version of Windows? This shouldn't make a difference, but it's
> been known to cause issues.

Windows XP SP2.

> Anything special happen on that day? Windows updates, linux updates,
> application updates etc?

Well, the user told me that no he didn't.
Reason being linux had just been fully re-installed (due to the same
crash), and Windows had been running for several weeks no reason to
upgrade, and people are instructed no to install any updates.

Windows is installed with the extfs driver.

Now thinking about it, I did modify the sudoers list from Windows by
editing /etc/sudoers.

I actually did think that the issue could be with the Intel RAID not
being handled properly and that somehow Windows wrote something on the
ext partition that made the linux driver crash.

It's very annoying.
Jean-Yves

Old 01-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Scott Silva

on 1/3/2008 7:53 AM Jean-Yves Avenard spake the following:

Hi

Odd. Have you checked the memory with memtest?

I haven't. Simply because it runs so well under Windows.

But I had plan to buy new RAM tomorrow, they are so cheap these days...

Which version of Windows? This shouldn't make a difference, but it's
been known to cause issues.

Windows XP SP2.

Anything special happen on that day? Windows updates, linux updates,
application updates etc?

Well, the user told me that no he didn't.
Reason being linux had just been fully re-installed (due to the same
crash), and Windows had been running for several weeks no reason to
upgrade, and people are instructed no to install any updates.

Windows is installed with the extfs driver.

Now thinking about it, I did modify the sudoers list from Windows by
editing /etc/sudoers.

Try fixing that, you could dos2unix that file, or restore from another machine.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Hi

On Jan 4, 2008 10:33 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> Try fixing that, you could dos2unix that file, or restore from another machine.

I used ultraedit to edit that file, it preserves unix end of line.
You actually think that deleting /etc/sudoers will suddenly prevent a
kernel panic during boot ? Or even the install DVD to crash when

Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 AM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Hi again

On Jan 4, 2008 11:57 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used ultraedit to edit that file, it preserves unix end of line.
> You actually think that deleting /etc/sudoers will suddenly prevent a
> kernel panic during boot ? Or even the install DVD to crash when
> searching for existing CentOS installation?

I've tried deleting the file from Windows , copying the file from
another machine.

Same result.

When booting the CentOS 5.1 DVD in rescue mode, as soon as I mount the
RAID array, I get a kernel panic.

Sound like a bug too me.

Jean-Yves

Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 AM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Hi again

On Jan 4, 2008 4:56 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sound like a bug too me.

I have tried booting the rescue DVD of Fedora 7, and it crashed just
the same when trying to mount the linux partition on the RAID1 array.

However, Fedora 8 manages to boot well, I was able to mount the
partition without any problems.

Currently compiling a kernel 2.6.26.12 , will see if it works with this kernel.

If anyone has a solution on why the stock CentOS kernel crashes when
mounting a Linux Intel Bios RAID1 array, I'm all ears !

Jean-Yves

Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Scott Silva

on 1/3/2008 11:30 PM Jean-Yves Avenard spake the following:

Hi again

I have tried booting the rescue DVD of Fedora 7, and it crashed just
the same when trying to mount the linux partition on the RAID1 array.

However, Fedora 8 manages to boot well, I was able to mount the
partition without any problems.

Currently compiling a kernel 2.6.26.12 , will see if it works with this kernel.

If anyone has a solution on why the stock CentOS kernel crashes when
mounting a Linux Intel Bios RAID1 array, I'm all ears !

Jean-Yves
AFAIR that is fakeraid anyway. Maybe one of the drives is having a problem.
Could be that the dmraid driver isn't as robust as software raid with drive
problems. You could eliminate the hardware (except the drives) by swapping
drives from one of the known working machines into this one and see what
happens. IF it borks, bad hardware, if not, bad drives or bad install.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM
"Jean-Yves Avenard"

Hi

On Jan 5, 2008 2:46 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
> AFAIR that is fakeraid anyway. Maybe one of the drives is having a problem.
> Could be that the dmraid driver isn't as robust as software raid with drive
> problems. You could eliminate the hardware (except the drives) by swapping
> drives from one of the known working machines into this one and see what
> happens. IF it borks, bad hardware, if not, bad drives or bad install.

It may be fakeraid,, but it's the only RAID solution that will work in
both Windows and Linux and allow to transfer files between both
system.
If I were to use linux software raid, I wouldn't be able to access the
linux partition under windows.

I doubt it's a hardware issue for the following reasons:
1-Windows works fine with intensive disk activity
2-Fedora 8 works fine too.
3-It's only Centos kernel that crashes when using those drives.

Jean-Yves

Old 01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Johnny Hughes

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Jan 5, 2008 2:46 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
>> AFAIR that is fakeraid anyway. Maybe one of the drives is having a problem.
>> Could be that the dmraid driver isn't as robust as software raid with drive
>> problems. You could eliminate the hardware (except the drives) by swapping
>> drives from one of the known working machines into this one and see what
>> happens. IF it borks, bad hardware, if not, bad drives or bad install.
>
> It may be fakeraid,, but it's the only RAID solution that will work in
> both Windows and Linux and allow to transfer files between both
> system.
> If I were to use linux software raid, I wouldn't be able to access the
> linux partition under windows.
>
> I doubt it's a hardware issue for the following reasons:
> 1-Windows works fine with intensive disk activity
> 2-Fedora 8 works fine too.
> 3-It's only Centos kernel that crashes when using those drives.

I am sure it is a raid driver issue.

Have you considered running one of the OSes (linux or windows) in a VM.

That way, you can share files and have both available at the same time,
unlike dual boot, where you need to reboot to get the other OS.

In that scenario you do not need to use fraid as one OS can be a virtual
file system inside the other.

CentOS does not do the "latest and greatest" drivers very well ...
though they may bring bugfixes back from newer kernels, I would not
count on that happening.