Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM
"Indunil Jayasooriya"

Default The iostat command

Hi All,

I am learning iostat command to understand disk I/O statistics.

We have 2 Centos 4 servers running where oracle is installed.We
installed them 2 weeks ago. @ that time, These Servers performed well.
But, Now We have come to know that these 2 Machines are quite slow
when comparing to the first week.

So, Some say, run iostat to see statictics. I am not familiar with comamnd well.

I found below url

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/admin-guide/s1-resource-rhlspec.html

And, I have still not understood it fully.

Could you pls advice me , If you have experience with iostat?

In adition to that, What are the other tools I can use?

I have already used,

top , vmstat commands

Hope to hear from you.

--
Thank you
Indunil Jayasooriya

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
John R Pierce

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:

Hi All,

I am learning iostat command to understand disk I/O statistics.

We have 2 Centos 4 servers running where oracle is installed.We
installed them 2 weeks ago. @ that time, These Servers performed well.
But, Now We have come to know that these 2 Machines are quite slow
when comparing to the first week.

So, Some say, run iostat to see statictics. I am not familiar with comamnd well.

I found below url

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/admin-guide/s1-resource-rhlspec.html

as the page says, `man iostat` for more information

i typically run something like

# iostat -x 5

and ignore the first sample.. every 5 seconds this will output
information on disk IO by drive volume. I find the await a
particularly important, as its the amount of time disk IO operations are
staying queued waiting for the drive, if this gets up tnio the 1000mS
range you have a serious bottleneck

you said Oracle. to manage and maintain a production Oracle database
server, you need an experienced Oracle Data Base Administrator ("DBA")
who can optimize and tune and maintain the database. such a person
will be very familiar with tracking query and tablespace IO statistics,
identifying bottlenecks and restructuring things to achieve optimal
performance