Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Fajar Priyanto

Default OT: How many watts do I need?

Hello all,
Sorry for the OT thing.
I'm helping a friend setting up a new box. It's a Pentium 4 with 430Watt power
supply. He wants to plugin his old harddrives and DVD into the new box. The
total will be: 3 harddrives, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive. In the box there are
also 2 big fans.

Is 430Watt enough?

Thank you for your sharing.
http://linux2.arinet.org
07:37:56 up 15 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 06:38:26 pm Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hello all,
> Sorry for the OT thing.
> I'm helping a friend setting up a new box. It's a Pentium 4 with 430Watt
> power supply. He wants to plugin his old harddrives and DVD into the new
> box. The total will be: 3 harddrives, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive. In the box
> there are also 2 big fans.
>
> Is 430Watt enough?
>
> Thank you for your sharing.

I would say its plenty big enough. I ran for many years a amd 2600+ box with
2xhdd's 3 optical drives, neon on the case a couple of fans, 1gb ram and a
couple of pci cards and i used a 350watt power supply for it

I had another athlon64 3000+ system with 6 sata drives and 3 pci cards 1gb ram
and two fans that used a 350watt power supply also

Dennis

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 AM
MHR

On Jan 2, 2008 4:43 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> wrote:

> I would say its plenty big enough. I ran for many years a amd 2600+ box with
> 2xhdd's 3 optical drives, neon on the case a couple of fans, 1gb ram and a
> couple of pci cards and i used a 350watt power supply for it
>
> I had another athlon64 3000+ system with 6 sata drives and 3 pci cards 1gb ram
> and two fans that used a 350watt power supply also

Either you were lucky or I was not - I burned out a 430w power supply
with my rig:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2 x 2.0GHz)
M/B: ECS NFORCE4M-A
K/M: Logitech EX110 Cordless Desktop (keyboard & mouse)
ram: 2GB OCZ DDR2 800MHz (PC6400)
fdd: Panasonic 3 1/4" 1.44Mb
hds: 160MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133 & 120MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133
sds: 300GB Seagate SATA-150/300 320GB WD SATA-150/300
dvd: Emprex 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer
Hammer 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer/DVD-RAM
vid: geFORCE7100gs (nVidia) PCI-E x16
mod: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (Lucent)
cap: AverMedia Video Capture

It's a little different now (both DVD drives had to be replaced, for
different reasons), and I've been using a 500w PS for about six
months, no trouble.

mhr

Old 01-03-2008, 02:02 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 17:24 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 4:43 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> wrote:
> >
> > I would say its plenty big enough. I ran for many years a amd 2600+ box with
> > 2xhdd's 3 optical drives, neon on the case a couple of fans, 1gb ram and a
> > couple of pci cards and i used a 350watt power supply for it
> >
> > I had another athlon64 3000+ system with 6 sata drives and 3 pci cards 1gb ram
> > and two fans that used a 350watt power supply also
> >

> Either you were lucky or I was not - I burned out a 430w power supply
> with my rig:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2 x 2.0GHz)
> M/B: ECS NFORCE4M-A
> K/M: Logitech EX110 Cordless Desktop (keyboard & mouse)
> ram: 2GB OCZ DDR2 800MHz (PC6400)
> fdd: Panasonic 3 1/4" 1.44Mb
> hds: 160MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133 & 120MB Maxtor PATA UDMA-133
> sds: 300GB Seagate SATA-150/300 320GB WD SATA-150/300
> dvd: Emprex 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer
> Hammer 16x DVD+/-RW/Dual-Layer/DVD-RAM
> vid: geFORCE7100gs (nVidia) PCI-E x16
> mod: Agere Systems 56k WinModem (Lucent)
> cap: AverMedia Video Capture
>
> It's a little different now (both DVD drives had to be replaced, for
> different reasons), and I've been using a 500w PS for about six
> months, no trouble.

Different mobos may have different needs. I had a 300 watt that was
plenty for my Acer AK77-400 (MAx/N) but it consistently chocked when I
put the Epox 9KRAI-Pro in that case. The Epox manual recommend >= 350
watts - it didn't lie.

Anyway, to the OP: each of your drives and other components will show
maximum needs and your mobo manual may list its needs too. Add them up,
add in a little fudge factor and you'll know.

IMO: I always try to run a PS rated *over* what I need. This is to run
the PS far enough below it rating that it should run cooler than what it
is rated for. Seems to make them last longer and be more reliable.

My Epox board is now on a 550 watt PS, allowing plenty of room for
growth.

--
Bill

Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
"William L. Maltby"

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 22:02 -0500, William L. Maltby wrote:
> <snip>

> Different mobos may have different needs. I had a 300 watt that was
> plenty for my Acer AK77-400 (MAx/N) but it consistently chocked when I
> put the Epox 9KRAI-Pro in that case. The Epox manual recommend >= 350

s/9/8/

--
Bill

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Peter Arremann

On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Is 430Watt enough?
>
> What brand?

And that is the right question. I have an Antec power supply that is rated at
450W that I used to replace a non name 650W one. The 650W burned out while
the 450W works just fine.
The reason is easy. The power supply has different rails. Different rails are
used for the different voltages (3.3, 5 and 12V). Some high end supplies have
more than one rail for certain voltages.
The problem comes in that most cheap manufacturers simply add up the maximum
allowed for each rail and use that. However, these power ratings are not
independent. Most power supplies create the 3.3V from the 5V. On the power
supply you will then see stuff like "Combined maximum for 3.3V and 5V is 25A"

In short, a good 430W power supply will easily deal with what you have
planned. If it is a cheap one it will probably burn out.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

Peter.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thursday 03 January 2008 10:05:04 Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > Sorry for the OT thing.
> > I'm helping a friend setting up a new box. It's a Pentium 4 with 430Watt
> > power supply. He wants to plugin his old harddrives and DVD into the new
> > box. The total will be: 3 harddrives, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive. In the
> > box there are also 2 big fans.
> >
> > Is 430Watt enough?
>
> What brand?

The brand is Symbadda (made in Taiwan). A popular brand here in Indonesia, but
I don't know the quality.

The reason why I ask is that I lost 2 harddrives from I suspect that the lack
of power from power supply. Surely I don't want the same misfortune happens
to my friend's box.

Well, anyway. Thanks for all sharing. I will inform him about this.
http://linux2.arinet.org
11:06:27 up 3:44, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
"empty521"

On Thu, January 3, 2008 4:05 am, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> Sorry for the OT thing.
>> I'm helping a friend setting up a new box. It's a Pentium 4 with 430Watt
>> power
>> supply. He wants to plugin his old harddrives and DVD into the new box.
>> The
>> total will be: 3 harddrives, 1 DVD drive, 1 CDRW drive. In the box there
>> are
>> also 2 big fans.
>>
>> Is 430Watt enough?
>
> What brand?

Exactly. The brand is the most important thing.
You could try this calculator, it's really usefull for oc and modding.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Cya

Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Scott Silva

on 1/2/2008 7:02 PM William L. Maltby spake the following:

[...]

And buy quality components if you want them to last.
I have seen so called 450 watt supplies in the $20 US range that are obviously
crap. Probably rated at the peak output, not a sustained load. You don't need
the most expensive, but you can tell the difference when you pick them up. The
cheap ones feel as if they are made from beer cans.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and