Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Christoph Mitasch

Default gettext does not work after glibc update

Hi,

I recently upgraded my system to CentOS 4.6 and noticed that gettext
does not behave as before the update. As soon as I install the old glibc
version (glibc-2.3.4-2.36) instead of the new one (glibc-2.3.4-2.39) it
works again.

See the Attachment for details.

Any hints would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Christoph
# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-common-2.3.4-2.39
glibc-2.3.4-2.39
glibc-2.3.4-2.39
# cat gettext.sh
#!/bin/bash
export TEXTDOMAINDIR=/tkcluster/locale/
export TEXTDOMAIN="messages"
export LANG="de_DE"
echo `gettext "ACTIVE"`

# sh gettext.sh
ACTIVE
[root@sr2500test-node1 glibc]# rpm -Uhv --nodeps --force
glibc-2.3.4-2.36.x86_64.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:glibc ###########################################
[100%]
Stopping sshd:[ OK ]
Starting sshd:[ OK ]
# sh gettext.sh
AKTIV

Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Christoph Mitasch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded my system to CentOS 4.6 and noticed that gettext
> does not behave as before the update. As soon as I install
> the old glibc
> version (glibc-2.3.4-2.36) instead of the new one
> (glibc-2.3.4-2.39) it
> works again.
>
> See the Attachment for details.
>
> Any hints would be appreciated!

What ISO language do you have set as default?

It appears to be translating to Danish or German.

-Ross

Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
"Christoph Mitasch"

Hi,

I just found out that the charset was not set correctly in the .po file. The funny thing is that the old glibc did not care about that whereas the new one does

Christoph