Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Johnny Hughes

Default yum update download only?

Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Googling for this feature, I saw reports from the yum developer that it
> wasn't yet implemented. This was in mailing list posts from a year or
> more ago. Did it ever make it into the yum code?
>
> I want to start downloading the updates for a server going from 5.0 to
> 5.1 and then do the actual installation once I'm on site. I don't want
> to have to wait around while there for the download to proceed. I'd
> rather have all the packages ready in the yum cache when I get there.

There is a yum plugin to do this ... it is called yum-downloadonly, so

yum install yum-downloadonly

Afterwards do this to see how to use the pluging:

yum --help

Basically ...

yum --downloadonly upgrade

This will put all the updates into the /var/cache/yum/

(This will be all the updates for the packagelist on the current machine
... so if you want to get them all, make sure to duplicate the machine
packagelist you want to get the downloads for)

you can then copy these files to the new machine(s) /var/cache/yum/

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Lorenzo Quatrini

Johnny Hughes ha scritto:

Kenneth Porter wrote:

[...]

What about centos 4? Does exists something similar?

TIA

Lorenzo Quatrini

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Johnny Hughes

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> Johnny Hughes ha scritto:
>> Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>> Googling for this feature, I saw reports from the yum developer that it
>>> wasn't yet implemented. This was in mailing list posts from a year or
>>> more ago. Did it ever make it into the yum code?
>>>
>>> I want to start downloading the updates for a server going from 5.0 to
>>> 5.1 and then do the actual installation once I'm on site. I don't want
>>> to have to wait around while there for the download to proceed. I'd
>>> rather have all the packages ready in the yum cache when I get there.
>>
>> There is a yum plugin to do this ... it is called yum-downloadonly, so
>>
>> yum install yum-downloadonly
>>
>> Afterwards do this to see how to use the pluging:
>>
>> yum --help
>>
>> Basically ...
>>
>> yum --downloadonly upgrade
>>
>> This will put all the updates into the /var/cache/yum/
>>
>> (This will be all the updates for the packagelist on the current machine
>> ... so if you want to get them all, make sure to duplicate the machine
>> packagelist you want to get the downloads for)
>>
>> you can then copy these files to the new machine(s) /var/cache/yum/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes
>>

> What about centos 4? Does exists something similar?

Yes, but it is part of the yum-utils package for CentOS-4:

rpm -q yum-utils

If you do not have yum-utils installed:

yum install yum-utils

Then:

man yumdownloader

Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Lorenzo Quatrini

Johnny Hughes ha scritto:

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:

Johnny Hughes ha scritto:

Kenneth Porter wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Johnny, but I'm too lazy (I tend to be really slow on scripting) to
make a script that get the list of updated packages and puts them in the right
place under /var/cache/yum/ ... I was hoping on a "canned" solution
I only have a couple of server running CentOS4, so I prefer to get them updated
on CentOS5 asap

Thanks again

Lorenzo Quatrini

Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
"Tronn Wśrdahl"

On Jan 8, 2008 11:06 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:

Lorenzo Quatrini wrote:
> Johnny Hughes ha scritto:
>> Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>> Googling for this feature, I saw reports from the yum developer that it
>>> wasn't yet implemented. This was in mailing list posts from a year or

>>> more ago. Did it ever make it into the yum code?
>>>
>>> I want to start downloading the updates for a server going from 5.0 to
>>> 5.1 and then do the actual installation once I'm on site. I don't want

>>> to have to wait around while there for the download to proceed. I'd
>>> rather have all the packages ready in the yum cache when I get there.
>>
>> There is a yum plugin to do this ... it is called yum-downloadonly, so

>> yum install yum-downloadonly
>>
>> Afterwards do this to see how to use the pluging:
>>
>> yum --help
>>
>> Basically ...
>>
>> yum --downloadonly upgrade

>> This will put all the updates into the /var/cache/yum/
>>
>> (This will be all the updates for the packagelist on the current machine
>> ... so if you want to get them all, make sure to duplicate the machine

>> packagelist you want to get the downloads for)
>>
>> you can then copy these files to the new machine(s) /var/cache/yum/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Johnny Hughes
>>

> What about centos 4? Does exists something similar?

Yes, but it is part of the yum-utils package for CentOS-4:

rpm -q yum-utils

If you do not have yum-utils installed:

yum install yum-utils

Then:

man yumdownloader

I downloaded a "addon" to yum, I did a search with yum looking for yum, with yum downloadonly you can allso spesify what folder to download to

Tronn