Old 03-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Jerry Geis

Default wireshark

I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.

After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.

Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.

Jerry

Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM
John Doe

From: Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com>
> I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.
> After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.
> Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.

rpm -ql wireshark | grep bin/

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
"Marko A. Jennings"

On Fri, March 20, 2009 12:39 pm, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.
>
> After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.
>
> Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.

wireshark binary is located in /usr/sbin . My guess is that you are
probably trying to run it as a user other than root and /usr/sbin is not
in your PATH.

Marko

Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM
John Doe

From: John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com>
> From: Jerry Geis
> > I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.
> > After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.
> > Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.
> rpm -ql wireshark | grep bin/

In fact, maybe you wanted the graphical interface (which has a 'wireshark' binary)...
yum install wireshark-gnome

JD

Old 03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Les Mikesell

Marko A. Jennings wrote:
> On Fri, March 20, 2009 12:39 pm, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.
>>
>> After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.
>>
>> Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.
>
> wireshark binary is located in /usr/sbin . My guess is that you are
> probably trying to run it as a user other than root and /usr/sbin is not
> in your PATH.

And, you probably also want wireshark-gnome.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com