Old 03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
sumit agarwal

Default Cent OS 4.4 x64 slow

Hi,** * *i installed Cent Os 4.4 x64 (all packages )on my thinkpad .** * *i have enough ram ie 2 gb and good processor Core 2 duo.2.5 ghz T9300** * *evrey thing seems to be running very slow.
** * *any help would be welcome

thanx
Sumit

Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Thursday 19 March 2009, sumit agarwal wrote:
> Hi, i installed Cent Os 4.4 x64 (all packages )on my thinkpad .
> i have enough ram ie 2 gb and good processor Core 2 duo.2.5 ghz T9300
> evrey thing seems to be running very slow.
> any help would be welcome

How did you decide upon CentOS-4.4 for your laptop? At the very least install
4.7 (or even better 5.2 or 5.3 (out soon)). If you install 4.4 your very
first "yum update" will take you to 4.7 anyway.

/Peter

Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
sumit agarwal

HI Peter,
thx for the reply.I will update *that soon on getting my network or wifi working.but can still not reason why this should be so slow.

2009/3/19 Peter Kjellstrom <cap@nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 19 March 2009, sumit agarwal wrote:

> Hi, * * *i installed Cent Os 4.4 x64 (all packages )on my thinkpad .

> * * * i have enough ram ie 2 gb and good processor Core 2 duo.2.5 ghz T9300

> * * * evrey thing seems to be running very slow.

> * * * any help would be welcome

How did you decide upon CentOS-4.4 for your laptop? At the very least install

4.7 (or even better 5.2 or 5.3 (out soon)). If you install 4.4 your very

first "yum update" will take you to 4.7 anyway.

/Peter

Software Engineer,
Product Dev.
Lifetree Convergence Ltd,
Indiranagar,
Bangalore
Mob : +91 9900952046

Old 03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-19-2009 9:12 AM sumit agarwal spake the following:
> Hi,
> �� � �i installed Cent Os 4.4 x64 (all packages )on my thinkpad .
> �� � �i have enough ram ie 2 gb and good processor Core 2 duo.2.5 ghz T9300
> �� � �evrey thing seems to be running very slow.
> �� � �any help would be welcome

Does your thinkpad have a SATA drive?
Is the bios set to AHCI mode and not emulating PATA?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 PM
sumit agarwal

hi**thinkpad has a SATA drive?
Is the bios set to AHCI mode and not emulating PATA?
how can i fix this?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-19-2009 11:22 AM sumit agarwal spake the following:
> hi
> thinkpad has a SATA drive?
> Is the bios set to AHCI mode and not emulating PATA?
> how can i fix this?

Are there options in the bios as to how the hard drive is accessed?

Which thinkpad do you have?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
sumit agarwal

i have R61 7742 -CTO i can set my bios to achi or compatible mode currently its on compatibllity modei dont think achi mode is detected.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Victor Padro

i have R61 7742 -CTO i can set my bios to achi or compatible mode currently its on compatibllity modei dont think achi mode is detected.

2009/3/19 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>

on 3-19-2009 11:22 AM sumit agarwal spake the following:

> hi

> *thinkpad has a SATA drive?

> Is the bios set to AHCI mode and not emulating PATA?

> how can i fix this?

Are there options in the bios as to how the hard drive is accessed?

Which thinkpad do you have?

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...

You hope everybody uses it, and

you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

Software Engineer,
Product Dev.
Lifetree Convergence Ltd,
Indiranagar,
Bangalore
Mob : +91 9900952046

Why don't you use CentOS 5.2?
What options do you have in the BIOS for HDDs?

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-19-2009 12:03 PM sumit agarwal spake the following:
> i have R61 7742 -CTO i can set my bios to achi or compatible mode
> currently its on compatibllity mode
> i dont think achi mode is detected.

If you switch to ACHI, does the windows partition still work?

If yes, why not download the 5.2 live CD and test it before you commit to
another install.