Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Jerry Geis

Default 5.3 and ext4

Is 5.3 and ext4 going to be safe?
I have seen a couple reports of data loss using ext4?
Has this already been fixed?

What does the list recommend? ext3/ ext4?

Thought maybe today we would start seeing 5.3 showing up... Looking
forward to it.

Jerry

Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Jim Perrin

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> Is 5.3 and ext4 going to be safe?

Define 'safe'

> I have seen a couple reports of data loss using ext4?

No. You've read reports about applications that had relied on a
feature/bug of ext3 eating data when using ext4.

> Has this already been fixed?

No.

> What does the list recommend? ext3/ ext4?

For what application type? I've been running ext4 in development with
apache and it's working okay, but it's also development. I haven't
tested it under any real sort of load. Just to see that it worked.

> Thought maybe today we would start seeing 5.3 showing up... Looking
> forward to it.

George Orwell

Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Peter Kjellstrom

On Thursday 19 March 2009, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is 5.3 and ext4 going to be safe?
> I have seen a couple reports of data loss using ext4?
> Has this already been fixed?

Like Jim said, not ext4's fault.

> What does the list recommend? ext3/ ext4?

Ext4 (actually ext4dev) in 5.3 will be a preview and not meant for general
use. So most people should probably stay with ext3.

/Peter