Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Jerry Geis

Default stty and sockets

With local com ports I can use stty to inspect the port settings.

Is there a similiar method with a socket connection?

I have an odd situation happening where my data collection program
that is working on 3 machines is not working on the 4th. The program opens
a socket to remote RS232 device no data is recieved. strangely though if
I "telnet IP port"
to the device it will send the data on this 4th unit. (odd that it works
on 3 units but not the 1).

I was thinking there must be something different with the way telnet
is setting up the socket than I am setting up the socket. Is there a
command or method that can inspect socket
options like I can with stty for RS232 lines? If so how?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Bill Campbell

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009, Jerry Geis wrote:
>With local com ports I can use stty to inspect the port settings.
>
>Is there a similiar method with a socket connection?

You can use stty with socket connections as well for many
settings (e.g. erase, kill, intr). I have this in my ~/XTerm
file to set what I consider sane values when making xterm
connections:

XTerm*ttyModes: intr ^C erase ^H kill ^U

These can also be set at the command line with:

stty intr '^C' erase '^H' kill '^U'

To see what the settings are ``stty -a'.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in rich
countries to rich people in poor countries -- Douglas Casey

Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Jerry Geis

> >/ From: Jerry Geis
> />/ > I did a "yum -y install wireshark" and it was successful.
> />/ > After the is type "wireshark" and nothing.
> />/ > Is there a problem with this package or am I missing something.
> />/ rpm -ql wireshark | grep bin/
> /
> In fact, maybe you wanted the graphical interface (which has a 'wireshark' binary)...
> yum install wireshark-gnome

That was it... Thanks, thought I was missing something easy.

Jerry