Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Per Qvindesland

Default Replacing my Scalix mail server

If your not to picky on calendar sharing and the other sharing options I can
really recommend Qmailtoaster http://qmailtoaster.com/, rock solid piece of
mail server with a really good web admin interface and a second to none
support.

Regards
Per Qvindesland

Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-17-2009 12:44 PM Per Qvindesland spake the following:
> If your not to picky on calendar sharing and the other sharing options I can
> really recommend Qmailtoaster http://qmailtoaster.com/, rock solid piece of
> mail server with a really good web admin interface and a second to none
> support.
>
> Regards
> Per Qvindesland
>

> On 3/17/09 8:24 PM, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm-tZ9RT1K724GHT8/ATrE1yw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> IPv6 support
But it isn't really a Scalix replacement. It is more of an e-mail hub with
squirrelmail.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 03-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Tim Nelson wrote:
> ----- "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> I really need to either upgrade my Scalix server or replace it.
>>
>> It has to be:
>>
>> Free
>> Integrated with anti-spam
>> IPv6 support
>> optional anti-virus (processing concerns)
>>
>> I don't have to be able to port mail from the Scalix to the new
>> server.
>> Everyone can just POP their mail.
>>

>> I have read a bit about Zimbra, it comes as a tar for rhel 5. No rpm
>> that I can find.
>>

>> I also found SME, I have a LOT of questions about it, and am asking on
>>
>> their forum board.
>>

>> Anything else out there I should look for?
>>

> Zimbra is fantastic and is easily installed on CentOS 5 by using the provided RHEL5 RPMs.

Where are these rpms? I could only find a tar file.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I really need to either upgrade my Scalix server or replace it.
>
> It has to be:
>
> Free
> Integrated with anti-spam
> IPv6 support
> optional anti-virus (processing concerns)
>
> I don't have to be able to port mail from the Scalix to the new server.
> Everyone can just POP their mail.
>

> I have read a bit about Zimbra, it comes as a tar for rhel 5. No rpm
> that I can find.
>

> I also found SME, I have a LOT of questions about it, and am asking on
> their forum board.
>

> Anything else out there I should look for?

Depending on your needs (imap/web access/calendar sharing/etc ...) there
are quite some alternatives.
Dovecot/[postfix/sendmail] combination does a great job.
If you need groupware features, i've tested recently Zarafa
(http://www.zarafa.com) that recently released their product under GPL
(not the M$ outlook connector though) .. worth trying

Fabian Arrotin
idea=`grep -i clue /dev/brain`
test -z "$idea" && echo "sorry, init 6 in progress" || sh ./answer.sh

Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Per Qvindesland wrote:
> If your not to picky on calendar sharing and the other sharing options I can
> really recommend Qmailtoaster http://qmailtoaster.com/, rock solid piece of
> mail server with a really good web admin interface and a second to none
> support.

AH yes, Daniel's qmail. But this looks like a number of separate pieces
that you put together yourself.

Calendaring is not important, and actually I am looking at what
amahi.org has for my home.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 17.03.2009 um 20:56 schrieb Scott Silva:

> on 3-17-2009 12:44 PM Per Qvindesland spake the following:
>> If your not to picky on calendar sharing and the other sharing
>> options I can
>> really recommend Qmailtoaster http://qmailtoaster.com/, rock solid
>> piece of
>> mail server with a really good web admin interface and a second to
>> none
>> support.
>>
>> Regards
>> Per Qvindesland
>>

>> On 3/17/09 8:24 PM, "Robert Moskowitz" <rgm-tZ9RT1K724GHT8/ATrE1yw@public.gmane.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> IPv6 support
> But it isn't really a Scalix replacement. It is more of an e-mail
> hub with
> squirrelmail.

If you do a lot of calendaring, then a pure mailserver is a bit
lacking, yes.
Zimbra is really recommended - but I would go for the pay-version
(Network Edition).
You get support, updates and a migration-path.

Rainer

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Rainer Duffner

Am 17.03.2009 um 20:58 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

> Where are these rpms? I could only find a tar file.

The pay-version is RPM.
But everything (except for the startup-script, the user it creates and
possibly other small bits I'm too lazy to lookup ATM) installs under /
opt/zimbra anyway.

I'm not even sure the RPM helps updating/upgrading, as that is started
via some shell-script.

Rainer

Old 03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Dnk

On 17-Mar-09, at 1:07 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> Per Qvindesland wrote:
>> If your not to picky on calendar sharing and the other sharing
>> options I can
>> really recommend Qmailtoaster http://qmailtoaster.com/, rock solid
>> piece of
>> mail server with a really good web admin interface and a second to
>> none
>> support.
>>

> AH yes, Daniel's qmail. But this looks like a number of separate
> pieces
> that you put together yourself.
>
> Calendaring is not important, and actually I am looking at what
> amahi.org has for my home.

The qmailtoaster works GREAT. Putting it together is a snap.

The installation scrips do the bulk of the work.

So if looking for a good email server without the calendaring, have a
look. Highly recommend the spamdyke add on. Great span option.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Per Qvindesland

No as I said it does not have all the synchronizing stuff but rock solid
email server, sadly Zimbra in my humble opinion not really free, but of
course there is http://www.opengroupware.org/ http://www.citadel.org/
http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/developer/index.html and http://kolab.org to
mention a few all with their own pro's and con's

Regards
Per Qvindesland

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Per Qvindesland

Well if you want to install QMT in a snap (about 30 minuts and no various
scripts install) then download the full iso with centos in the bottom and
really simple configuration steps from here http://qmtiso.com/

Regards
Per Qvindesland