Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Rainer Duffner

Default Replacing my Scalix mail server

Am 17.03.2009 um 21:19 schrieb Per Qvindesland:

> No as I said it does not have all the synchronizing stuff but rock
> solid
> email server, sadly Zimbra in my humble opinion not really free, but
> of
> course there is http://www.opengroupware.org/ http://www.citadel.org/
> http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/developer/index.html and http://kolab.org
> mention a few all with their own pro's and con's

All the "free" solutions depend on you spending an extra-ordinary
amount of time configuring them.

The amount of QA needed to pull something like Zimbra off is
staggering (sometimes it's still not enough QA....)

My own mail is qmail-only - I gave-up trying to get all the
calendaring-packages running long ago.
But at work, we have Zimbra and is is really cool IMO.
It has a slick web-interface, it sync's with Outlook, Mac - and then
there is this great/horrible fat client called Zimbra Desktop...
;-)

I have to admit, though, that the list-price for a small amount of
mailboxes looks not so cheap (esp. if you want Zimbra Mobile).
(How many mailboxes does the original author want to replace, actually?)

But still, I'm kind of fascinated by it - mostly, because it's very
openly developed and by browsing through their bugzilla and P4
repository-webinterface, you get a good idea of what current issues
there are, what would get fixed by going to a newer version (and which
new bugs to expect).
I wish every vendor did that.

We run it on CentOS, BTW (test/dev environment via Virtuozzo,
production on physical hardware).

Rainer

Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Les Mikesell

Rainer Duffner wrote:

> All the "free" solutions depend on you spending an extra-ordinary
> amount of time configuring them.

Well, except SME server where you just add users in a web interface.
But as mentioned, it's Centos4 based unless you use the beta version and
it doesn't do network authentication out of the box so it's hard to use
more than one. On the other hand it will install on a single disk in a
way that you can easily add software mirroring later, something
difficult to do with stock Centos if it is possible at all.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Ramon Nieto

> Where are these rpms? I could only find a tar file.

Untar the file, a new directory will be created with the RPMS.

Zimbra comes as a bundle with its own ldap server, mysql server,
clamav, etc. it is difficult or impossible to "update" one of those
services , you have to wait for the next zimbra release and look what
has been updated.

Also it uses java for some processes, you need a good server (ram,cpu
) in order to run with a good response time.

Best.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-17-2009 3:53 PM Les Mikesell spake the following:
> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>> All the "free" solutions depend on you spending an extra-ordinary
>> amount of time configuring them.
>
> Well, except SME server where you just add users in a web interface.
> But as mentioned, it's Centos4 based unless you use the beta version and
> it doesn't do network authentication out of the box so it's hard to use
> more than one. On the other hand it will install on a single disk in a
> way that you can easily add software mirroring later, something
> difficult to do with stock Centos if it is possible at all.

Something equivalent to SME server is ClarkConnect.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am 17.03.2009 um 21:19 schrieb Per Qvindesland:
>

>> No as I said it does not have all the synchronizing stuff but rock
>> solid
>> email server, sadly Zimbra in my humble opinion not really free, but
>> of
>> course there is http://www.opengroupware.org/ http://www.citadel.org/
>> http://www.open-xchange.com/EN/developer/index.html and http://kolab.org
>> mention a few all with their own pro's and con's
>>

> All the "free" solutions depend on you spending an extra-ordinary
> amount of time configuring them.
>
> The amount of QA needed to pull something like Zimbra off is
> staggering (sometimes it's still not enough QA....)
>
> My own mail is qmail-only - I gave-up trying to get all the
> calendaring-packages running long ago.
> But at work, we have Zimbra and is is really cool IMO.
> It has a slick web-interface, it sync's with Outlook, Mac - and then
> there is this great/horrible fat client called Zimbra Desktop...
> ;-)
>

> I have to admit, though, that the list-price for a small amount of
> mailboxes looks not so cheap (esp. if you want Zimbra Mobile).
> (How many mailboxes does the original author want to replace, actually?)

I was running the mailserver for a local organization and that was 30+
users on top of my 10+. They have gone to another site, so I am back to
10+. For now...