-   -   How to get usb storage under /media in runlevel 3? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/264993-how-get-usb-storage-under-media-runlevel-3-a.html)

Kimmo Koivisto 03-17-2009 04:14 PM

How to get usb storage under /media in runlevel 3?

Hello

I have previously used Centos 4.x in runlevel 3, when I plug in my usb
storage device/cd in cd-rom, it is shown under /media, for example
/media/MyUsbStick.

Now in Centos 5.2, when I insert usb storage device, nothing is shown
under /media (runlevel 3). When I have runlevel 5 and X running, usb
stick / cdrom is automounted fine.

I can mount the stick using /dev/xxx device, but would prefer if:

a) cdrom and usb-stick would appear under /media automatically and I
could manually mount it
b) cdrom and usb-stick would be automounted when inserted (like in runlevel 5).

Any ideas, how to accomplish (a) or (b)?

Regards,
Kimmo Koivisto

Akemi Yagi 03-18-2009 05:38 PM

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Kimmo Koivisto <koippa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have previously used Centos 4.x in runlevel 3, when I plug in my usb
> storage device/cd in cd-rom, it is shown under /media, for example
> /media/MyUsbStick.
>
> Now in Centos 5.2, when I insert usb storage device, nothing is shown
> under /media (runlevel 3). When I have runlevel 5 and X running, usb
> stick / cdrom is automounted fine.
>
> I can mount the stick using /dev/xxx device, but would prefer if:
>
> a) cdrom and usb-stick would appear under /media automatically and I
> could manually mount it
> b) cdrom and usb-stick would be automounted when inserted (like in runlevel 5).
>
> Any ideas, how to accomplish (a) or (b)?

This CentOS wiki article may help:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/HAL

Akemi

Kimmo Koivisto 03-18-2009 06:39 PM

2009/3/18 Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Kimmo Koivisto <koippa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have previously used Centos 4.x in runlevel 3, when I plug in my usb
>> storage device/cd in cd-rom, it is shown under /media, for example
>> /media/MyUsbStick.
>>
>> Now in Centos 5.2, when I insert usb storage device, nothing is shown
>> under /media (runlevel 3). When I have runlevel 5 and X running, usb
>> stick / cdrom is automounted fine.
>>
>> I can mount the stick using /dev/xxx device, but would prefer if:
>>
>> a) cdrom and usb-stick would appear under /media automatically and I
>> could manually mount it
>> b) cdrom and usb-stick would be automounted when inserted (like in runlevel 5).
>>
>> Any ideas, how to accomplish (a) or (b)?
>
> This CentOS wiki article may help:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/HAL
>
> Akemi

Thanks. It seems that the gnome-* is not for me, because it requires
X. Instead of gnome*, I think halevt
(http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/halevt.html) is what I'm
looking for.

BR,