Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM
tblader

Default syslog: CPU stuck for 10s!

Hi All,
I have a Centos 5 box serving NFS3 shares from an LSI megaraid card.
The box has been up and down for about a week and trying to figure
out what's up. Found a syslog message today about "APIC error on CPU"
and after rebooting with NOAPIC, I now get this:

# cat /var/log/kernel | grep BUG
Mar 17 09:51:05 ofdmz kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 10s!
[migration/0:2]
Mar 17 09:52:21 ofdmz kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 10s!
[ssh:3491]

Anyone know what this means? I found a thread* from 2006 on this
list that mentions updating the bios, but thought I would get
a message out early in case this doesn't fix it.

Thanks
[*] - http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-June/023933.html

Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
"Martin Suehowicz"

Try upgrading to the latest kernel.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
tblader

On 03/17/2009 02:38 PM, Martin Suehowicz wrote:
> Try upgrading to the latest kernel.

Hi,
I believe I've got the latest already:

uname -a
Linux ofdmz.localdomain 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 12:03:43 EST
2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
--

Flambeau Inc. Technology Center - Baraboo, WI
Email : tblader@flambeau.com

Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Agile Aspect

tblader wrote:
> On 03/17/2009 02:38 PM, Martin Suehowicz wrote:
>
>> Try upgrading to the latest kernel.
>>

> Hi,
> I believe I've got the latest already:
>
> uname -a
> Linux ofdmz.localdomain 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 12:03:43 EST
> 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

My first guess is maybe it's a problem with irqbalance but it wouldn't
explain the crashes.

It's possible you have a misbehaving CPU - maybe one which is getting
hot since it crashing. Bad thermo grease perhaps.

Can you look at the temperatures?

--
Article. VI. Clause 3 of the constitution of the United States states:

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of
the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers,
both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by
Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test
shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust
under the United States."

Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 PM
tblader

On 03/17/2009 05:19 PM, Agile Aspect wrote:
<snip>

> My first guess is maybe it's a problem with irqbalance but it wouldn't
> explain the crashes.

Interestingly, I stopped irqbalance yesterday afternoon and it ran
all night just fine.

> It's possible you have a misbehaving CPU - maybe one which is getting
> hot since it crashing. Bad thermo grease perhaps.
>
> Can you look at the temperatures?

I've reinstalled using the x86_64 distro and kernel
2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plus. gkrellm reports 104F
cpu temp; seems to be accurate - the heat tubes on the
cpu cooler are just warm.