Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

Default Streaming video with Centos 5.2...how to?

Hello all,

I am a noob to streaming video, and I have a file I'd like to stream (a
.wmv file...sorry. ;-) ). In any case, how can I do this on my website
using Centos 5.2 and Apache 2.2.8, rather than making people download a
20 MB video? Can someone point me to some URL's and some software?

Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!

Gilbert

Old 03-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Thiago Avelino

VLS = http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/

2009/3/17 Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@weather.admin.niu.edu>:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a noob to streaming video, and I have a file I'd like to stream (a
> .wmv file...sorry. ;-) *). In any case, how can I do this on my website
> using Centos 5.2 and Apache 2.2.8, rather than making people download a
> 20 MB video? Can someone point me to some URL's and some software?
>
> Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
>
> Gilbert

att.

Thiago Avelino
Programador | SysAdmin
Linux User: #484673
São Paulo - SP / Brasil
www.avelino.us | www.centos-br.org

Linkedin | linkedin.com/in/thiagoavelinoster
Twitter | twitter.com/thiagoavelinost
JustinTV | justin.tv/thiagoavelino

Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
John Doe

From: Thiago Avelino <thiagoavelinoster@gmail.com>
> VLS = http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/
> 2009/3/17 Gilbert Sebenste :
> > I am a noob to streaming video, and I have a file I'd like to stream (a
> > .wmv file...sorry. ;-) ). In any case, how can I do this on my website
> > using Centos 5.2 and Apache 2.2.8, rather than making people download a
> > 20 MB video? Can someone point me to some URL's and some software?

There is also ffserver from ffmpeg.
Or convert the video to flv and put a flashplayer on your website...
A popular one is JW FLV Media Player.

JD

Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Guy Boisvert

Thiago Avelino wrote:
> VLS = http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/
>
> 2009/3/17 Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@weather.admin.niu.edu>:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am a noob to streaming video, and I have a file I'd like to stream (a
>> .wmv file...sorry. ;-) ). In any case, how can I do this on my website
>> using Centos 5.2 and Apache 2.2.8, rather than making people download a
>> 20 MB video? Can someone point me to some URL's and some software?
>>
>> Thanks for any help, I greatly appreciate it!
>>
>> Gilbert

Thiago, i'm asking you kindly to refrain from top posting! Thanks!

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

For the OP, do you want live streaming or on demand? For On Demand, we
use Darwin Streaming Server (Open Source) on CentOS. We
encode/re-encode our files in MP4. The server is able to stream MP3 too.

For Live streaming, we use (alas..) Winblows WME (Winblows2003). We
take our live feed in SDI and feed it into an Osprey 560 card.

For me, i'd like to go further and replace the WME server by something
that would run on CentOS. Presently, we push 4 streams: 1 low res, 1
medium res, 1 High res and 1 audio only.

The problem we have (apart from being Winblows...) is that the damn
Micro$loth stuff is a nightmare to administer. No remote status, binary
logs, etc!

I checked VLC and it is a very good piece of software but i'm not sure
it would fit the bill in the above scenario.

I'd like to have statistics, remote control, SNMP trap in case of
problem, etc.

As for compression, we need something easy for our clients that are just
standard users with about no computer knowledge. That means that the
stream should use a format that is supported right out of the box or
easily added. Unfortunately, majority of clients are using Winblows...
I heard about Flash Streaming but still didn't find anything that
would run on Linux (as a streaming server).

Does anybody knows something that would do using CentOS ? Any good idea
will be appreciated !

Thanks!

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Rainer Duffner

Guy Boisvert schrieb:

> Does anybody knows something that would do using CentOS ? Any good idea
> will be appreciated !

For Flash-streaming, there's Red5 (which a couple of customers are using)

Anything else, I'd consider QSS (the commercial cousin of DSS, available
on OSX-Server, only, IIRC).
If you outgrow that, there are commercial solutions from SUN (in the
if-you-have-to-ask-it's-probably-too-expensive-for-you-anyway
department) or other vendors.

Adobe's Flash-streaming platform is available on RHEL5 (or was that
RHEL4?), too, but last time I looked, no 64bit version was available.
(which is really a joke, these days)

Rainer

Old 03-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Logan Moore

Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Guy Boisvert schrieb:
>
>> Does anybody knows something that would do using CentOS ? Any good idea
>> will be appreciated !
>>

> For Flash-streaming, there's Red5 (which a couple of customers are using)
>
> Anything else, I'd consider QSS (the commercial cousin of DSS, available
> on OSX-Server, only, IIRC).
> If you outgrow that, there are commercial solutions from SUN (in the
> if-you-have-to-ask-it's-probably-too-expensive-for-you-anyway
> department) or other vendors.
>
> Adobe's Flash-streaming platform is available on RHEL5 (or was that
> RHEL4?), too, but last time I looked, no 64bit version was available.
> (which is really a joke, these days)
>

> Rainer

If you would prefer to not do any reencoding or use any special web
apps, check out the following webpage. It's got some really nice and
basic tips on getting files like wmv to stream using pointer files and
setting the correct mime types.

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

Logan

Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 AM
Gilbert Sebenste

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Rainer Duffner wrote:

> For Flash-streaming, there's Red5 (which a couple of customers are using)
>
> Anything else, I'd consider QSS (the commercial cousin of DSS, available
> on OSX-Server, only, IIRC).
> If you outgrow that, there are commercial solutions from SUN (in the
> if-you-have-to-ask-it's-probably-too-expensive-for-you-anyway
> department) or other vendors.
>
> Adobe's Flash-streaming platform is available on RHEL5 (or was that
> RHEL4?), too, but last time I looked, no 64bit version was available.
> (which is really a joke, these days)

Thanks Thiago and Rainer. I'll look into these. Take care!