Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Rob Kampen

Default Firefox seg faults

Hi, I have two very similar AMD based work stations running fully
current CentOS x86_64.

Both have 4Gb of RAM, both have

[rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep flash
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
[rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep fire
firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.i386

One machine (home) works fine on my web page www.ndgonline.net/ndg/
the other (work) seg faults - I guess it is due to the godaddy link on
the bottom of the page, as plain old google loads fine.

I started this debacle by removing firefox, flash and the plugin
directories on my work machine under /usr/lib/mozilla and
/usr/lib64/mozilla as my page loads were very slow (only the godaddy
bit) and also any video content (flash based I think) failed to play,
yet all this works fine on the home machine.

I guess there is some common lib somewhere that is corrupt, any ideas of
where to start looking?

I did have nspluginwrapper installed on the work machine, however this
is no longer installed and is not installed on the home machine. Do not
see what this provides, as I have more success playing multimedia
content at home than at work......

Heading away from the work machine, thus ability to check if any changes
work will be limited until I am in front of the screens tomorrow,
however I can ssh and check packages etc.

Thanks for your help.
Rob

Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Rob Kampen

Rob Kampen wrote:
[...]

Update:
removed firefox and flash via yumex.
removed the ~/.mozilla folder completely and started afresh.
re-installed firefox - i386 version on a x86_64 system as this seem to
be the safest and it works fine at home.

all appears okay - particularly my web site https://www.ndgonline.net/ndg/
then installed the adobe supplied flash player and it seg faults as it
goes to render the godaddy logo at the bottom of my page.
remove the flash player and all is well - so it appears that the flash
player is the problem.......

anyone else have this issue or any experience or insight they can share??

Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:30 -0400, Rob Kampen wrote:
> <snip>

> Update:
> removed firefox and flash via yumex.
> removed the ~/.mozilla folder completely and started afresh.
> re-installed firefox - i386 version on a x86_64 system as this seem to
> be the safest and it works fine at home.
> all appears okay - particularly my web site https://www.ndgonline.net/ndg/
> then installed the adobe supplied flash player and it seg faults as it
> goes to render the godaddy logo at the bottom of my page.
> remove the flash player and all is well - so it appears that the flash
> player is the problem.......
> anyone else have this issue or any experience or insight they can share??

I don't know if this helps, but since you didn't give any specifics, I'm
hoping that thgis will help you.

$ rpm -qa|grep flash
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386

$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/adobe-linux-i386.repo
[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
priority=5
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

I'm not 64 bit, but this works fine for me.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill

Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:30 -0400, Rob Kampen wrote:
> <snip>

P.S.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Rob Kampen

William L. Maltby wrote:

[...]

Thanks William,
I have exactly the same setup and versions - only diff is I'm on AMD
running 64 bit, but have never had problems until now. As mentioned I
have an almost identical system at home and it is fine. Also, this was
working up to about a week ago, so I guess I need to check my logs and
see what has been added that may be causing this.

Rob

Old 03-18-2009, 07:05 AM
"A. Kirillov"

> Hi, I have two very similar AMD based work stations running fully
> current CentOS x86_64.
> Both have 4Gb of RAM, both have
>
> [rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep flash
> flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
> [rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep fire
> firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.i386

Try flash-plugin-9.0.124.0.
I couldn't make flash-plugin-10.0.22.87 work on my 64-bit box.

# rpm -qa firefox flash-plugin
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.x86_64

Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Rob Kampen

A. Kirillov wrote:
Hi, I have two very similar AMD based work stations running fully
current CentOS x86_64.

Both have 4Gb of RAM, both have

[rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep flash
flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
[rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep fire
firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.i386

Try flash-plugin-9.0.124.0.
I couldn't make flash-plugin-10.0.22.87 work on my 64-bit box.

# rpm -qa firefox flash-plugin
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.x86_64

two questions
1. where do I find

flash-plugin-9.0.124.0
2. how come you are running 64 bit firefox and 32 bit plugin???

Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 AM
"A. Kirillov"

> >> Hi, I have two very similar AMD based work stations running fully
> >> current CentOS x86_64.
> >> Both have 4Gb of RAM, both have
> >>
> >> [rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep flash
> >> flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386
> >> [rkampen@media ~]$ sudo rpm -qa |grep fire
> >> firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.i386
> >>

> > Try flash-plugin-9.0.124.0.
> > I couldn't make flash-plugin-10.0.22.87 work on my 64-bit box.
> >
> > # rpm -qa firefox flash-plugin
> > flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386
> > firefox-3.0.6-1.el5.centos.x86_64
> >

> two questions
> 1. where do I find
> flash-plugin-9.0.124.0

Good question. It doesn't seem to be in the adobe repos any more.

Try http://www.szivarvanynet.hu/download/linux/
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm

The rpm there matches my local copy.

# md5sum /var/lib/yum/repo/x86_64/
flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm
fe8a084b6c9e83740e1e3353f19d04e1 /var/lib/yum/repo/x86_64/flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm

> 2. how come you are running 64 bit firefox and 32 bit plugin???

Install nspluginwrapper for both archs and run
# mozilla-plugin-config --help

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Rob Kampen

A. Kirillov wrote:
[...]

Well that download and install works great! - thanks.
Leaves me wondering why I can get the adobe supplied flash plugin
working on one machine but not the other - not the kind of stuff to
inspire confidence in ....... adobe ..... firefox ...... CentOS .....???

2. how come you are running 64 bit firefox and 32 bit plugin???

Install nspluginwrapper for both archs and run
# mozilla-plugin-config --help

Not for me at this time, I deliberately run the 32 bit version of
firefox as my reading online indicates all other options are less than
perfect - YMMV.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
"A. Kirillov"

> >> two questions
> >> 1. where do I find
> >> flash-plugin-9.0.124.0
> >>

> > Good question. It doesn't seem to be in the adobe repos any more.
> >
> > Try http://www.szivarvanynet.hu/download/linux/
> > flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm
> >
> > The rpm there matches my local copy.
> >
> > # md5sum /var/lib/yum/repo/x86_64/
> > flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm
> > fe8a084b6c9e83740e1e3353f19d04e1 /var/lib/yum/repo/x86_64/flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386.rpm
> >

> Well that download and install works great! - thanks.
> Leaves me wondering why I can get the adobe supplied flash plugin
> working on one machine but not the other - not the kind of stuff to
> inspire confidence in ....... adobe ..... firefox ...... CentOS .....???

Probably some subtle differences in system setup.
Missing i386 dependencies?