Old 01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
John Baer

Default A Thought About F9 Artwork

All,

IMO the F8 artwork presents Fedora very favorably and it seems a waste
not to leverage this success in F9.

Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and use
the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?

Presenting the same question a differ way.

Would Fedora users be disappointed if the F9 came with an improved F8
theme (ie. same theme, new wallpaper)?

Cheers!

John

Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
David Nielsen

tir, 01 01 2008 kl. 13:45 -0500, skrev John Baer:
> All,
>
> IMO the F8 artwork presents Fedora very favorably and it seems a waste
> not to leverage this success in F9.
>
> Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and use
> the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?
>
> Presenting the same question a differ way.
>
> Would Fedora users be disappointed if the F9 came with an improved F8
> theme (ie. same theme, new wallpaper)?

I for one would welcome the glorious return of the Fedora 8 theme in a
polished version. I think F8 presented the most beautiful Fedora yet and
it would be a good branding move to keep the same theme around for a few
releases.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Steven Garrity wrote:

I proposed a seasonal Spring/Fall theme set to coincide with the
time-based release schedule of Fedora back in November. I've been trying
to create a page for it on the wiki, but I'm having trouble getting my
account created (probably my own fault).

Are you following http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing? What
exactly is the problem you are running into?

Rahul

Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Steven Garrity

John Baer wrote:

Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and
use the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?

This is a good point - it would be nice to see a somewhat common theme
getting more and more polished with each release. More of an evolution
than a complete redesign each time. That said, the last few themes have
been a bit like this.

Things that are easier to change, like the splash screens and wallpaper
can change more frequently and dramatically. Things that are more
challenging to redesign well, like Gtk and Metacity themes evolve more
slowly.

This reminds me of the 6 layers of buildings from Stewart Brand's
classic book, How Buildings Learn:
http://www.peterme.com/archives/00000323.html

I would like to see a general visual theme for Fedora that can slowly
evolve and improve with each release, but still have enough wiggle-room
for each release to feel new and exciting.

I proposed a seasonal Spring/Fall theme set to coincide with the
time-based release schedule of Fedora back in November. I've been trying
to create a page for it on the wiki, but I'm having trouble getting my
account created (probably my own fault).

Quoting myself:

As the Fedora release schedule is now about as reliable as the coming
of spring and fall, it occurred to me that spring and fall might
serve as appropriate visual themes for alternating releases.

Both "spring" and "fall" (aka autumn) are nice natural visual
metaphors that have recognizable and (potentially) beautiful color
schemes associated with them. They are also both "natural" themes,
which can work well for desktop themes.

Perhaps we could adopt a "spring" visual theme for the odd-numbered
releases that fall in the spring, and a "fall" visual theme for the
even-numbered releases that fall in the, well, fall.

This would also provide a way to have a strong visual change between
releases, but still build on a larger theme that could grow more
refined over multiple releases.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00099.html

A theme like this would allow a common thread for all Fedora release
visuals, but also a nice back-and-forth change for each release.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity

Old 01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Laith Juwaidah

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 00:06:07 Steven Garrity wrote:
> John Baer wrote:
> > Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and
> > use the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?
>
> This is a good point - it would be nice to see a somewhat common theme
> getting more and more polished with each release. More of an evolution
> than a complete redesign each time. That said, the last few themes have
> been a bit like this.
>
> Things that are easier to change, like the splash screens and wallpaper
> can change more frequently and dramatically. Things that are more
> challenging to redesign well, like Gtk and Metacity themes evolve more
> slowly.
>
> This reminds me of the 6 layers of buildings from Stewart Brand's
> classic book, How Buildings Learn:
> http://www.peterme.com/archives/00000323.html
>
> I would like to see a general visual theme for Fedora that can slowly
> evolve and improve with each release, but still have enough wiggle-room
> for each release to feel new and exciting.
>
> I proposed a seasonal Spring/Fall theme set to coincide with the
> time-based release schedule of Fedora back in November. I've been trying
> to create a page for it on the wiki, but I'm having trouble getting my
> account created (probably my own fault).
>
> Quoting myself:
> > As the Fedora release schedule is now about as reliable as the coming
> > of spring and fall, it occurred to me that spring and fall might
> > serve as appropriate visual themes for alternating releases.
> >
> > Both "spring" and "fall" (aka autumn) are nice natural visual
> > metaphors that have recognizable and (potentially) beautiful color
> > schemes associated with them. They are also both "natural" themes,
> > which can work well for desktop themes.
> >
> > Perhaps we could adopt a "spring" visual theme for the odd-numbered
> > releases that fall in the spring, and a "fall" visual theme for the
> > even-numbered releases that fall in the, well, fall.
Could it also be that the colors match the season (green for spring releases
and yellow/orange for fall ones?)?

> > This would also provide a way to have a strong visual change between
> > releases, but still build on a larger theme that could grow more
> > refined over multiple releases.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00099.html
>
> A theme like this would allow a common thread for all Fedora release
> visuals, but also a nice back-and-forth change for each release.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven Garrity

Laith Juwaidah
http://www.ljuwaidah.org/

Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Máirín Duffy

Laith Juwaidah wrote:
>>> Perhaps we could adopt a "spring" visual theme for the odd-numbered
>>> releases that fall in the spring, and a "fall" visual theme for the
>>> even-numbered releases that fall in the, well, fall.
> Could it also be that the colors match the season (green for spring releases
> and yellow/orange for fall ones?)?

Whenever we try anything that is !blue, we get a whole lot of negative
feedback. People like to look at the colors far more symbolically than
they should I think.

~m

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 AM
Daniel Geiger

I believe it would be beneficial to Fedora to stabilize the artwork in successive releases.* IMO, radically changing the artwork each release detracts from giving Fedora a recognizable look and feel.* I am for refining and improving the artwork, though--maybe in the degree to which Ubuntu refines their backgrounds.* As someone else said, I also believe that the artwork of F8 is a good release to build upon for refinements.
A question of clarification: what exactly is meant here by "theme" -- GTK+/Metacity, icons, artwork, or something else?

~Daniel

John Baer <baerjj@gmail.com> wrote: All,

Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
Michael Beckwith

New themes, that are relatively radically different, I tend to think
ARE Fedora's recognizable look. Something new and well done to greet
you with each release. No you can't satisfy everyone, but that should
be expected. Just look at modern art for an example of that.

Daniel Geiger wrote:
I believe it would be beneficial to Fedora to stabilize
the artwork in successive releases.* IMO, radically changing the
artwork each release detracts from giving Fedora a recognizable look
and feel.* I am for refining and improving the artwork, though--maybe
in the degree to which Ubuntu refines their backgrounds.* As someone
else said, I also believe that the artwork of F8 is a good release to
build upon for refinements.

A question of clarification: what exactly is meant here by "theme" --
GTK+/Metacity, icons, artwork, or something else?

~Daniel

Never miss a thing.
Make Yahoo your homepage.

~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)
http://michaelbox.net (eventually)

Old 01-02-2008, 02:58 AM
inode0

On Jan 1, 2008 9:40 PM, Michael Beckwith <michael.d.beckwith@gmail.com> wrote:

> New themes, that are relatively radically different, I tend to think ARE
> Fedora's recognizable look. Something new and well done to greet you with
> each release. No you can't satisfy everyone, but that should be expected.
> Just look at modern art for an example of that.

I agree and being bold and innovative in artwork is in harmony with
Fedora's emphasis on innovation under the covers too.

John

Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Nicu Buculei

John Baer wrote:

IMO the F8 artwork presents Fedora very favorably and it seems a waste
not to leverage this success in F9.

Duh! and we have another parallel thread about how F8 was the worst
Talk about artistic subjectivity...

Does it make sense to change the theme every other release cycle and use
the off cycle to improve or tweak the current theme?

Presenting the same question a differ way.

Would Fedora users be disappointed if the F9 came with an improved F8
theme (ie. same theme, new wallpaper)?

My personal and unscientific guess: more will be disappointed than happy.
But I propose you this approach: make an improved "Infinity" and run it
through the normal 3 rounds process so we can see if the general
feedback is positive.