Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Logan Moore

Default Postfix smtp_recipient_restrictions causing mail to fail

Logan Moore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently playing with smtp_recipient restrictions to try and knock
> some of this spam on it's head. On my old debian server, I was using
> this and successfully filtering out at least 90% if not more of all spam
> emails which was great. I didn't even need spamassassin.
>
> However, trying to do the same thing on my new CentOS based server isn't
> working. With the following enabled, nothing comes through from the
> outside world.
>
> Can anybody see where I've gone wrong. I can't fathom why this would
> block all incoming emails from the web.
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_mynetworks,
> permit_sasl_authenticated,
> reject_invalid_hostname,
> reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
> reject_non_fqdn_sender,
> reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
> reject_unknown_sender_domain,
> reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
> permit
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kind regards,
> Logan Moore

Weird. If I comment out the smtpd_recipient_restrictions, that lets
email through, so I tried removing restriction, restarting postfix and
then sending an email to check if emails start working. Email didn't
start working until I removed the smtpd_recipient_restrictions all
together. Even the following would result in all incoming email being
blocked.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit

This seems more than a tad wrong

Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Logan Moore

Logan Moore wrote:
> Logan Moore wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm currently playing with smtp_recipient restrictions to try and knock
>> some of this spam on it's head. On my old debian server, I was using
>> this and successfully filtering out at least 90% if not more of all spam
>> emails which was great. I didn't even need spamassassin.
>>
>> However, trying to do the same thing on my new CentOS based server isn't
>> working. With the following enabled, nothing comes through from the
>> outside world.
>>
>> Can anybody see where I've gone wrong. I can't fathom why this would
>> block all incoming emails from the web.
>>
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>> permit_mynetworks,
>> permit_sasl_authenticated,
>> reject_invalid_hostname,
>> reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
>> reject_non_fqdn_sender,
>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
>> reject_unknown_sender_domain,
>> reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
>> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
>> permit
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Logan Moore
>>

> Weird. If I comment out the smtpd_recipient_restrictions, that lets
> email through, so I tried removing restriction, restarting postfix and
> then sending an email to check if emails start working. Email didn't
> start working until I removed the smtpd_recipient_restrictions all
> together. Even the following would result in all incoming email being
> blocked.
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit
>
> This seems more than a tad wrong

OK, now we are getting somewhere. You can't do anything without
specifying reject_unauth_destination, and specifiying that alone works
fine, so I will work my way back up to the full list of restrictions
from that and see where it breaks.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Logan Moore

Logan Moore wrote:
> Logan Moore wrote:
>
>> Logan Moore wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm currently playing with smtp_recipient restrictions to try and knock
>>> some of this spam on it's head. On my old debian server, I was using
>>> this and successfully filtering out at least 90% if not more of all spam
>>> emails which was great. I didn't even need spamassassin.
>>>
>>> However, trying to do the same thing on my new CentOS based server isn't
>>> working. With the following enabled, nothing comes through from the
>>> outside world.
>>>
>>> Can anybody see where I've gone wrong. I can't fathom why this would
>>> block all incoming emails from the web.
>>>
>>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
>>> permit_mynetworks,
>>> permit_sasl_authenticated,
>>> reject_invalid_hostname,
>>> reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
>>> reject_non_fqdn_sender,
>>> reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
>>> reject_unknown_sender_domain,
>>> reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
>>> reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
>>> permit
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Logan Moore
>>>

>> Weird. If I comment out the smtpd_recipient_restrictions, that lets
>> email through, so I tried removing restriction, restarting postfix and
>> then sending an email to check if emails start working. Email didn't
>> start working until I removed the smtpd_recipient_restrictions all
>> together. Even the following would result in all incoming email being
>> blocked.
>>
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit
>>
>> This seems more than a tad wrong

> OK, now we are getting somewhere. You can't do anything without
> specifying reject_unauth_destination, and specifiying that alone works
> fine, so I will work my way back up to the full list of restrictions
> from that and see where it breaks.

That was it. I didn't have any of the required options (reject, defer,
defer_if_permit, reject_unauth_destination) in my
smtpd_recipient_restrictions, so all email was being rejected. After
adding reject_unauth_destination, she's working beautifully. Thanks, I
think posting to the list helped. I probably would have given up and put
it off until later otherwise.

Kind regards,
Logan Moore

Old 03-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Ned Slider

Logan Moore wrote:
> [...]

<snip>

> Thanks, I
> think posting to the list helped. I probably would have given up and put
> it off until later otherwise.

Looks like you've already solved your problem. Just for reference,
there's a postfix restrictions page on the Wiki that works nicely:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_restrictions