-   -   date differs permanent some 3450 sec. (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/262479-date-differs-permanent-some-3450-sec.html)

"Helmut Drodofsky" 03-13-2009 06:24 AM

date differs permanent some 3450 sec.

Hi,

*

the date jumps within 30 seconds to a wrong value. ntp
service is stopped at the beginning.

*

Whereas hwclock seems more precise.

*

[root@kerio ~]# service ntpd stop

Shutting down
ntpd:***************************************
[* OK* ]

[root@kerio ~]# ntpdate 0.centos.pool.ntp.org

13 Mar 07:04:48 ntpdate[23003]: step time server
131.234.137.24 offset -3450.678273 sec

[root@kerio ~]# hwclock

Fri 13 Mar 2009 07:04:59 AM GMT* -0.014767 seconds

[root@kerio ~]# date

Fri Mar 13 07:05:02 GMT 2009

[root@kerio ~]# date

Fri Mar 13 07:05:14 GMT 2009

[root@kerio ~]# date

Fri Mar 13 08:03:01 GMT 2009

[root@kerio ~]# hwclock

Fri 13 Mar 2009 07:05:37 AM GMT* -0.083628 seconds

[root@kerio ~]#

*

/etc/ntp.conf is in original configuration.

*

Remarks:

- most of our servers run without X-Windows, this uses
X-Windows and Gnome.

- the server runs kerio mail services. Even the original
from kerio configured VMWare server has had this behavior.

- stopping of keriomailserver does not help

*

*

*

Helmut

*

*

"Sorin Srbu" 03-13-2009 07:10 AM

date differs permanent some 3450 sec.

Daylight time savings in effect? The timeserver is incorrect (rather
farfetched though)?

"Ntpdate 0.centos.pool.ntp.org" seems awfully specific. Normally those time
pools use geoip or some such mechanism to connect to the right pool and
usually connect you to a close mirror, or at least on the same continent.
Perhaps you're checking with the wrong time-server? Can you try some other
ntp-server?

Speculations, speculations...
--
/Sorin