Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Default How to find out values from dhcp query

How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
dhcpd server to my client?

I thought perhaps /etc/dhclient-eth1.conf, but that is not the place...

Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:26:49AM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
> dhcpd server to my client?
>
> I thought perhaps /etc/dhclient-eth1.conf, but that is not the place...

Try /var/lib/dhclient/*.leases.

Ray

Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Tim Verhoeven

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:
> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
> dhcpd server to my client?
>
> I thought perhaps /etc/dhclient-eth1.conf, but that is not the place...

Check the lease file in /var/lib/dhclient

Regards,
Tim

(Linus Torvalds)

Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:26:49 -0400:

> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
> dhcpd server to my client?

what values? You can see most parts of the negotiation on the server in
real time. dhcpd logs by default all requests and the answers to messages.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:26:49 -0400:
>

>> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
>> dhcpd server to my client?
>>

> what values? You can see most parts of the negotiation on the server in
> real time. dhcpd logs by default all requests and the answers to messages.

I have a proprietary firewall that provides dhcpd services and includes
fields for entering the WINS server address and the WINS mode. I wanted
to see what these variables show up as as well as their values...

I do not see them in cat /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth1.leases on this
system.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:29:09PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:26:49 -0400:
> >

> >> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
> >> dhcpd server to my client?
> >>

> > what values? You can see most parts of the negotiation on the server in
> > real time. dhcpd logs by default all requests and the answers to messages.
>
> I have a proprietary firewall that provides dhcpd services and includes
> fields for entering the WINS server address and the WINS mode. I wanted
> to see what these variables show up as as well as their values...
>
> I do not see them in cat /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth1.leases on this
> system.

How is dhclient being invoked?

ps afxww | grep dhclient

Ray

Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Robert Moskowitz

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:29:09PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Kai Schaetzl wrote:

>>> what values? You can see most parts of the negotiation on the server in
>>> real time. dhcpd logs by default all requests and the answers to messages.
>>>
>> I have a proprietary firewall that provides dhcpd services and includes
>> fields for entering the WINS server address and the WINS mode. I wanted
>> to see what these variables show up as as well as their values...
>>
>> I do not see them in cat /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth1.leases on this
>> system.
>>

> How is dhclient being invoked?
>
> ps afxww | grep dhclient
On this system it is run from a script in a terminal window where I also
run wpa_supplicant (NetworkManager does not work well enough on this
system). On a FC10 system, I use NetworkManager and it invokes dhclient.

Neither show the address of the WINS server, nor the WINS mode (H-mode).

Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:59:13PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> >> I have a proprietary firewall that provides dhcpd services and
> >> includes fields for entering the WINS server address and the WINS
> >> mode. I wanted to see what these variables show up as as well as
> >> their values...
> >>
> >> I do not see them in cat /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth1.leases on
> >> this system.
> >>

> > How is dhclient being invoked?
> >
> > ps afxww | grep dhclient
>
> On this system it is run from a script in a terminal window where I
> also run wpa_supplicant (NetworkManager does not work well enough on
> this system). On a FC10 system, I use NetworkManager and it invokes
> dhclient.
>
> Neither show the address of the WINS server, nor the WINS mode
> (H-mode).

Ah, I ask because the -lf argument to dhclient should point to where
the lease file is generated. For example, on one of my systems:

Ray

Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Scott Silva

on 3-12-2009 12:29 PM Robert Moskowitz spake the following:
> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:26:49 -0400:
>>

>>> How can I find out what variables and their values were provided by a
>>> dhcpd server to my client?
>>>
>> what values? You can see most parts of the negotiation on the server in
>> real time. dhcpd logs by default all requests and the answers to messages.
>
> I have a proprietary firewall that provides dhcpd services and includes
> fields for entering the WINS server address and the WINS mode. I wanted
> to see what these variables show up as as well as their values...
>
> I do not see them in cat /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth1.leases on this
> system.
I don't think any dhcp client will cache any values that it won't use, and a
linux server doesn't usually need a wins server or the wins mode. Use a
Microsoft client and look at the values there.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and