Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Louis Lagendijk

Default Intermittent NFS problems with NetApp server

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 17:23 -0400, Alfred von Campe wrote:

> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_mem
> net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 98304 131072 196608
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_rmem
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 4194304
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 16384 4194304
>
> So these seem fine to me (i.e., the max is greater than 32768). Is
> there an NFS (as opposed to TCP) setting I should be tweaking? Any
> ideas why the NetApp is issuing those warnings? Any other
> suggestions on how to debug this problem?

man nfs
man mount.nfs
cat /proc/mounts

Louis

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Ray Van Dolson

<snip>

> So these seem fine to me (i.e., the max is greater than 32768). Is
> there an NFS (as opposed to TCP) setting I should be tweaking? Any
> ideas why the NetApp is issuing those warnings? Any other
> suggestions on how to debug this problem?

Sounds like a very interesting problem. The only time I've gotten such
errors have been NFSv4 issues between Linux and Solaris hosts, never
with a NetApp.

You might try asking on the linux-nfs[1] list as well as the
toasters[2] list. I'd be interested to hera what you come up with.
Very strange symptoms though. Are you using NFS over TCP or UDP? It
seems like one side is attempting to use a stale session...

I've always found NFS stuff like this very difficult to troubleshoot.
If you can reproduce the problem on demand maybe you could get a packet
dump right when the issue begins...

Ray

[1]: http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
[2]: http://toasters.mathworks.com/toasters.html

Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Ross Walker

On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com>
wrote:

> I've been experiencing some intermittent problems accessing at NetApp
> server via NFS and automount. I'm running CentOS 5.2 (fully updated)
> on all my servers and workstations. Usually, everything is working
> just fine, when suddenly we get the following error:
>
> /bin/sh: /home/epd/srcref/swtools/Crontabs/
> run_release_requests.sh: Permission denied
>
> This is actually an email from cron because we try to run that shell
> script every minute (yes, the crontab entry is * * * * * /home/epd/
> srcref/swtools/Crontabs/run_release_requests.sh), and /home/epd is an
> automounted directory. Here is its map entry:
>
> epd -rw,nointr,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 XXXXXX:/epd
>
> When this is happening, other users can successfully access that
> directory on the server. The directory is actually mounted
> correctly, and unmounting doesn't fix the issue. Furthermore, the
> same user that is being denied access, can successfully access that
> directory on a different server. The problem usually lasts about 20
> minutes and then resolves itself. We have been pulling our hair out
> trying to debug this problem, because it's intermittent and the debug
> window is fairly short.
>
> Recently we have been getting help from one of the NetApp admins, and
> he ran a command on the NetApp that produced the following warning:
>
> The TCP receive window advertised by NFS client XXXXXXX is 5888.
> This is less than the recommended value of 32768 bytes.
> You should increase the TCP receive buffer size for NFS on the
> client.
>
> Some googling around got me to check these values for TCP:
>
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_mem
> net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 98304 131072 196608
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_rmem
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 4194304
> # sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 16384 4194304
>
> So these seem fine to me (i.e., the max is greater than 32768). Is
> there an NFS (as opposed to TCP) setting I should be tweaking? Any
> ideas why the NetApp is issuing those warnings? Any other
> suggestions on how to debug this problem?

Run a headers only tcpdump of the NFS mount from mount to when the
problem occurs, then use wireshark to analyze it.

Maybe page cache is putting too much pressure on tcp buffering so you
need to increase the minimum buffer size?

-Ross