Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
tblader

Default Centos 5.2 live cd won't boot

Hello All
Anyone have a workaround for booting the 5.2 LiveCD?
I'm getting this error:

no root yet, udev rule will write symlink

Then I drop to a shell, with a message to create a symlink
to /dev/root and then exit the shell. There is also a message
that it cannot find the root filesystem.

Is there a way to disable udev with grub?
Thanks

Old 03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Tblader wrote on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:50:48 -0500:

> Anyone have a workaround for booting the 5.2 LiveCD?
> I'm getting this error:
>
> no root yet, udev rule will write symlink
>
> Then I drop to a shell, with a message to create a symlink
> to /dev/root and then exit the shell.

And that is really the original, downloaded live CD and it *is* booting
from a CD/DVD drive?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Michael Peterson

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Tblader wrote on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:50:48 -0500:
>

>> Anyone have a workaround for booting the 5.2 LiveCD?
>> I'm getting this error:
>>
>> no root yet, udev rule will write symlink
>>
>> Then I drop to a shell, with a message to create a symlink
>> to /dev/root and then exit the shell.
>>

> And that is really the original, downloaded live CD and it *is* booting
> from a CD/DVD drive?
>
> Kai

Could you please provide a description of the components in the system
you are trying to boot it in?
Do you have at least 256-512 MB of RAM?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Michael, next time, could you please reply to the original post instead of
hooking in to others?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Michael Peterson

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Michael, next time, could you please reply to the original post instead of
> hooking in to others?
>
> Kai

What do you mean by this?
Is this because you changed the original post and you thought I was
replying to the other part of the original post.

I was responding to the current thread running which was off of the
original post.
Are you saying everyone should create a new thread path from the
original post each time instead of keeping a thread going to get a
solution solved?
This would make it a great pain to find answers if everyone had to start
from scratch every time when they posted.
No one else has been asked to do this.
I was just elaborating on your post to get more detail to aid in a solution.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Michael Peterson wrote on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:44:43 -0500:

> What do you mean by this?
> Is this because you changed the original post and you thought I was
> replying to the other part of the original post.

Sorry? I did not "change" anything. You replied to *my* posting with
questions to the original poster and with *nothing* that referred to my
posting. Do you do the same in face-to-face discussion? Person A has a
problem and asks something in a round, Person B replies and you then ask
person B for further information about the problem that person A has?
Really? Won't you rather address person A directly?

> Are you saying everyone should create a new thread path from the
> original post each time

not each time, it depends on the natural flow of discussion. I think this
should be obvious.

> instead of keeping a thread going to get a
> solution solved?

Simply reply to that posting that you refer to. That could be the root
posting or any posting down the thread. Again, it depends what you refer
to. If you think that a thread is built by appending the next posting
always to the previous posting and it's a neverending single chain of
postings, then you got it wrong.

> This would make it a great pain to find answers if everyone had to start
> from scratch every time when they posted.

Not at all. It organizes the thread in the natural flow of discussion.
This is not a forum, which often are built on top of broken software that
doesn't know anything about flow of discussion - e.g. they are unthreaded.
If you got this bad habit from forums - get rid of it! Even in most forums
you can quote correctly and thus indicate which posting you refer to
although they might all be chained together.

> No one else has been asked to do this.

I asked you because you used *my* posting as a root instead of the correct
posting and so I immediately recognized it as it came in as a follow-up to
me but wasn't one. I'm sure not scrutenizing each and every posting for
this. Most people here do understand threading.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
tblader

> Could you please provide a description of the components in the system
> you are trying to boot it in?
> Do you have at least 256-512 MB of RAM?

Hi,
The CD/DVD image was downloaded from mirrors.gigenet:
http://mirrors.gigenet.com/centos/5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.2-i386-LiveCD.iso

The system is an Asus m2n-e mainboard, amd x2 6400, 8 gig of ram.
It's got and LSI 8704 ELP raid card, a couple of realtek gig nics
and SATA dvd drive.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Karanbir Singh

tblader wrote:
> The system is an Asus m2n-e mainboard, amd x2 6400, 8 gig of ram.
> It's got and LSI 8704 ELP raid card, a couple of realtek gig nics
> and SATA dvd drive.

My home desktop machine is an M2N-E Mobo, and works fine with the LiveCD.

[root@chamkaur ~]# dmidecode | grep -i m2n-e
Version: ASUS M2N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0801
Product Name: M2N-E SLI

I dont have an LSI interface though... I've got one of these:
05:0e.0 RAID bus controller: Areca Technology Corp. ARC-1220 8-Port
PCI-Express to SATA RAID Controller

which also works fine.