Old 03-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Michael Klinosky

Default need help with keyring

I should mention that I'm a total newbie with keyrings! I tried
searching for help sites - found 1, but I still have a problem. If there
is a website (or sites) that explain this, please post it (them)!

Ok, so I have a laptop with wifi, running CentOS 5.2. When I boot it, it
finds the nearby wifi signals, and tries to connect to mine. To do this,
it puts up a window to get my default keyring password. Perhaps I needed
to config something?

Anyway, I found http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager ,
which _seems_ to explain everything. However, my newbie-ness is
interfering with this process. NB - I use gnome.

The problem is that it's still asking for the default password. I'm
fairly sure that I didn't *complete* that process (one issue - that
password is different from my user password.)

It states that I need (?) to change the keyring password to be the same
as the user password - but I can't figure out how. The last sentence:
(Using gnome-keyring-manager), "highlight the keyring and select Change
Keyring Password from the Keyring menu of gnome-keyring-manager.

I don't have 'Change' anything there - whether as $ or #.

What do I need to do to satisfy it (so that it doesn't ask for the
password)?

Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 AM
MHR

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Michael Klinosky <mpk2@enter.net> wrote:

> Ok, so I have a laptop with wifi, running CentOS 5.2. When I boot it, it
> finds the nearby wifi signals, and tries to connect to mine. To do this,
> it puts up a window to get my default keyring password. Perhaps I needed
> to config something?

I had a similar problem at my last job connecting Evolution to a
Windows Exchange Server for my email. Eventually, I found that if I
told Evolution NOT to remember my password, but I input it manually
every time, then the system would not pester me about the default
keyring password.

For the record, I never did figure out the problem, and my requests
for assistance from the gnome list went nowhere - I suspect no one
there knew how to get past this, either. I tried creating new
keyrings, all the passwords I could think of for the default keyring
(none of them worked, including no password), and I found this
workaround to be sufficient for what I needed.

HTH

mhr