Old 03-09-2009, 02:50 PM
drew einhorn

Default LSI Logic MegaRAID 8480 Storage controller

I have LSI Logic MegaRAID 8480 Storage controller

I am having trouble reconfigure one of the hardware raid devices

It is configured with 4 hardware raid logical volumes on

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdd.

I am in the middle of rebuilding the system,
*and at this point I am only using one of the volumes, /dev/sda

/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdd are all 2 drive raid1 mirrors
I will be using the hardware raid logical volumes /dev/sdb and /dev/sdd
with their current configurations

I doubt that the hardware raid device on /dev/hda is causing
any problems

/dev/sda has two partitiions
/dev/sda1 is a 100 MB ext3 partition mounted on /boot
/dev/sda2 is a 20 GB lvm logical volume in a 67 GB volume group with
an ext3 partition mounted on /
the rest of the volume group is empty.

I don't like the /dev/sdc is configued. *It's configured as a 4 drive raid6.
It will be used for database journal, nearly all sequential writes.
I would rather use raid10

There are 3 ways to configure the hardware raid.

The is something called WebBIOS which is sort of like a web browser that
you access from the BIOS. *This is ruled out since we will need to
maintain the raid configuration with shutting down the operating system,
or applications.

There is a MegaCLI command line interface that runs under the operating
system. *Normally I prefer command line tools. *But this software is big,
and complex. *All I have been able to find is a reference manual,
that has lots of typos and is not very well organized for me to learn
what I need to know. *I have not been able to find a tutorial for this
software. *It will take more time than I have at the moment to figure
out this tool.

Finally there is the MegaRAID Storage Manager a GUI tool that
runs under the OS. *I'm running v2.77-00

So the first thing I need to do is delete the unwanted raid6 logical volume.

When I try to delete it, it refuses and says:

* *This is an OS drive. *The virtual drive cannot be deleted.

Any ideas on how to get past this problem with the MegaRAID Storage Manager,

or pointers the better documentation, and maybe even a tutorial for the MegaCLI
interface.

--
Drew Einhorn

Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
John Doe

From: drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com>
> When I try to delete it, it refuses and says:
> This is an OS drive. The virtual drive cannot be deleted.
> Any ideas on how to get past this problem with the MegaRAID Storage Manager,
> or pointers the better documentation, and maybe even a tutorial for the MegaCLI
> interface.

Hum, is it unmounted?
If it was, maybe try to remove any partitions on it...

JD

Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>There is a MegaCLI command line interface that runs under the operating
>system. *Normally I prefer command line tools. *But this software is big,
>and complex. *All I have been able to find is a reference manual,
>that has lots of typos and is not very well organized for me to learn
>what I need to know. *I have not been able to find a tutorial for this
>software. *It will take more time than I have at the moment to figure
>out this tool.

Huh? It's one tiny binary, and the syntax is trivial? You are looking at
something else... Its own help is decent and it installs via rpm on RHEL.

>Finally there is the MegaRAID Storage Manager a GUI tool that
>runs under the OS. *I'm running v2.77-00

Now that's a big steaming pile of dung I can't make any sense of
that darn at the best of times

What you need is the mr_sas_sw_ug.pdf from lsi's site.

Display the VD's/LD's:

Table 3.35 Display Virtual Disk Information
Convention CmdTool -LDInfo -Lx|-L0,1,2|-Lall -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
Description Displays information about the virtual disk(s) on the selected adapter(s). This
information includes the name, RAID level, RAID level qualifier, size in megabytes,
state, stripe size, number of drives, span depth, cache policy, access policy, and
ongoing activity progress, if any, including initialization, background initialization,
consistency check, and reconstruction.

Pick the one you want, then delete:

Table 3.33 Delete Specified Virtual Disks
Convention CmdTool -CfgLDDel -Lx|-L0,1,2|-Lall -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
Description Deletes the specified virtual disk(s) on the selected adapter(s). You can delete one
virtual disk, multiple virtual disks, or all the selected virtual disks on selected
adapter(s).

HTH,
jlc

Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
drew einhorn

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:38 AM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com>
>> When I try to delete it, it refuses and says:
>> * *This is an OS drive. *The virtual drive cannot be deleted.
>> Any ideas on how to get past this problem with the MegaRAID Storage Manager,
>> or pointers the better documentation, and maybe even a tutorial for the MegaCLI
>> interface.
>
> Hum, is it unmounted?

No, the only mounted stuff is on /dev/sda

> If it was, maybe try to remove any partitions on it...

That's it! It won't delete a raid logical volume if it sees a partition on it,
even if it is not mounted. Once I cleared the partition table. The it let
me delete the, logical volume.

Thanks,
--
Drew Einhorn

Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
drew einhorn

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>There is a MegaCLI command line interface that runs under the operating
>>system. *Normally I prefer command line tools. *But this software is big,
>>and complex. *All I have been able to find is a reference manual,
>>that has lots of typos and is not very well organized for me to learn
>>what I need to know. *I have not been able to find a tutorial for this
>>software. *It will take more time than I have at the moment to figure
>>out this tool.
>
> Huh? It's one tiny binary, and the syntax is trivial? You are looking at
> something else... Its own help is decent and it installs via rpm on RHEL.
>

> What you need is the mr_sas_sw_ug.pdf from lsi's site.

The manual IS sloppy.
missing - characters in the syntax

Tryijng to figure out -Val syntax

megacli *AdpPRSetDelay *-Val
-aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL

+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 0 -a0
Invalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay

Tried sticking a - in front of the zero. Doesn't make
much sense, tried it anyway, didn't help.

This cheat sheet for another vintage of the controller
rebadged by Dell, seems to be exactly what I need.

http://tools.rapidsoft.de/perc/perc-cheat-sheet.html

Looks like I can get most of what I need, without any
stinking -Val

That will do for now.
--
Drew Einhorn

Old 03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>The manual IS sloppy.
>missing - characters in the syntax
>
>Tryijng to figure out -Val syntax
>
>megacli AdpPRSetDelay -Val
> -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
>

>+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 0 -a0
>Invalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay
>
>Tried sticking a - in front of the zero. Doesn't make
>much sense, tried it anyway, didn't help.

Seriously, I get that you are frustrated, been there myself.

I don't have any of our LSI's actually running at the moment, but
it makes sense to me if the Patrol Read is disabled, you get an error
configuring it. Just a guess...

What does a -AdpPR -Info -a0 yield?

jlc

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
drew einhorn

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>The manual IS sloppy.
>>missing - characters in the syntax
>>
>>Tryijng to figure out -Val syntax
>>
>>megacli AdpPRSetDelay -Val
>> * * * * * * * * * *-aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
>>

>>+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 0 -a0
>>Invalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay
>>
>>Tried sticking a - in front of the zero. *Doesn't make
>>much sense, tried it anyway, didn't help.
>
> Seriously, I get that you are frustrated, been there myself.
>
> I don't have any of our LSI's actually running at the moment, but
> it makes sense to me if the Patrol Read is disabled, you get an error
> configuring it. Just a guess...
>
> What does a -AdpPR -Info -a0 yield?

+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPR -Info -a0
^M
Adapter 0: Patrol Read Information:

Patrol Read Mode: Auto
Patrol Read Execution Delay: 168 hours
Number of iterations completed: 43
Current State: Stopped

It's already 168 hours,
lets try a command setting it to 168 hours

+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 168 -a0
^MInvalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay

Doesn't like the syntax

+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 0 -a0
^MInvalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay

Lets try setting it to 0, Doesn't like that either.

--
Drew Einhorn

Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>/home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 168 -a0
>^MInvalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay
>
>Doesn't like the syntax
>
>+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay 0 -a0
>^MInvalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay
>
>Lets try setting it to 0, Doesn't like that either.

I wish I had one of my cards running, but just looking at
the syntax, from my experience running this app, I would say
you need to do: # MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay -Val33 -a0 if you
wanted 33 hours What are you trying to change it to anyway?
Is the value sane?

jlc

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
drew einhorn

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> I wish I had one of my cards running, but just looking at
> the syntax, from my experience running this app, I would say
> you need to do: # MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay -Val33 -a0 if you
> wanted 33 hours What are you trying to change it to anyway?
> Is the value sane?

+ /home/drew/bin/MegaCli -AdpPRSetDelay -Val168 -a0
^MInvalid input at or near token -AdpPRSetDelay

Hmm. It didn't like that either!

I'm just trying to figure out the command syntax.
And writing some utility scripts.

-AdpPRSetDelay -Val is just the first command in
the manual that sets a value, and there is neither
a specification of the syntax for -Val, nor an
example command using -Val

Will probably leave the -AdpPRSetDelay at 168
But I still need the syntax for setting -Val in other
commands.

I bet you didn't learn the syntax from the manual.
I'll bet you inherited some scripts from someone else,
and learned by tweaking working scripts.

--
Drew Einhorn

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I bet you didn't learn the syntax from the manual.
>I'll bet you inherited some scripts from someone else,
>and learned by tweaking working scripts.

Uhm, I learned from the manual. I am tempted to fire one
up and just figure it out...