FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Thomas Johansson
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a cloning solution for our Windows/Linux/*nix computer park
> and ran into Clonezilla. Apparantely the DRBL and other documentation
> mentions CentOS as a suitable base for it.
>
> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about it
> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
> gotchas', warnings or whatever?
>
Hi

We have a standalone network cloning laptops using clonezilla. The
person using it says it does what it is supposed to.

The install was pretty much by the instructions on the webpage. The
computer we use have an extra NIC for a private clone network. We also
installed an extra HDD 500GB for clone image storage.

What i did was pretty much;

1. Configure nic on eth1 to 192.168.100.1
2. Add packages dkms dkms-fuse dkms-ntfs3g dkms-ntfs
fuse-ntfs-3g-devel fuse-ntfs-3g
* /yum install dkms dkms-fuse dkms-ntfs3g dkms-ntfs
fuse-ntfs-3g-devel fuse-ntfs-3g/
3. /Modify ///etc/sysconfig/iptables/ according to Clonezilla server
firewall
<https://sysadm.isy.liu.se/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClonezillaFirewall>
4. Install Clonezilla following Clonezilla server install
<http://drbl.sourceforge.net/one4all/>
5. Configure the server according to the webpage

Regards
Thomas

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a cloning solution for our Windows/Linux/*nix computer park
> and ran into Clonezilla. Apparantely the DRBL and other documentation
> mentions CentOS as a suitable base for it.
>
> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about it
> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
> gotchas', warnings or whatever?

I'm using it installed via yum on Centos and it works great. I use a
2-NIC server where machines are normally plugged into the private side
in a lab to be imaged via PXE booting but it also works to use a
clonezilla-live CD boot anywhere on the network to save or restore.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
"Sorin Srbu"
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

>-----Original Message-----
>From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
Behalf
>Of Les Mikesell
>Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 2:50 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Clonezilla SE with CentOS5
>
>> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about
it
>> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
>> gotchas', warnings or whatever?
>
>I'm using it installed via yum on Centos and it works great. I use a
>2-NIC server where machines are normally plugged into the private side
>in a lab to be imaged via PXE booting but it also works to use a
>clonezilla-live CD boot anywhere on the network to save or restore.

Thanks Les and Thomas. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into installing
this solution.

I'm currently using a g4u-based routine with an ftp-server running of off a
Win2k3-machine+dhcp. It works, but is slightly awkward to use. Clonezilla
seems a bit more worked-on compared and more of a complete solution.

Thanks.
--
/Sorin
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Michael Peterson
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
>>
> Behalf
>
>> Of Les Mikesell
>> Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 2:50 PM
>> To: CentOS mailing list
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Clonezilla SE with CentOS5
>>
>>
>>> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about
>>>
> it
>
>>> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
>>> gotchas', warnings or whatever?
>>>
>> I'm using it installed via yum on Centos and it works great. I use a
>> 2-NIC server where machines are normally plugged into the private side
>> in a lab to be imaged via PXE booting but it also works to use a
>> clonezilla-live CD boot anywhere on the network to save or restore.
>>
>
> Thanks Les and Thomas. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into installing
> this solution.
>
> I'm currently using a g4u-based routine with an ftp-server running of off a
> Win2k3-machine+dhcp. It works, but is slightly awkward to use. Clonezilla
> seems a bit more worked-on compared and more of a complete solution.
>
> Thanks.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
Please let us know how it works for you.
I did not know that you could install it on CentOS.
I just started looking at it lately and can not get the live CD to work
on new or old hardware.
I have used PartImage and hoped it would be easier to use but no luck
even getting it up to test yet.
Glad to read that someone has gotten it to work.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Michael Peterson wrote:
>
> Please let us know how it works for you.
> I did not know that you could install it on CentOS.
> I just started looking at it lately and can not get the live CD to work
> on new or old hardware.
> I have used PartImage and hoped it would be easier to use but no luck
> even getting it up to test yet.
> Glad to read that someone has gotten it to work.

How does the live CD fail for you? Installing the DRBL package on a
Centos server basically gives you PXE network boot capability, but once
you've booted into clonezilla it is pretty much the same thing you would
have if you booted the live CD and mounted network storage from the
server - and either way works with most of the hardware I've tried.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Toby Bluhm
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a cloning solution for our Windows/Linux/*nix computer park
> and ran into Clonezilla. Apparantely the DRBL and other documentation
> mentions CentOS as a suitable base for it.
>
> Does anybody on this list use this solution and can say something about it
> in the running-Clonezilla-with-CentOS-context, be it recommendations,
> gotchas', warnings or whatever?
>


Works nicely for my only purpose - Windows backup.

Installs like an appliance - it will stomp on several config files
without warning. Best to try it out on a test box or virtual machine.

Had to sort through many small scripts to get it to do what I wanted.
Main ones I edited were /opt/drbl/sbin/ocs-functions,
/opt/drbl/lang/bash/en_US, /tftpboot/nbi_img/pxelinux.cfg/default. Use
only one network, shut off nis master, made it a secondary dhcpd server,
NFS mount the image storage point off another box.

The logger service /opt/drbl/sbin/ocsmgrd didn't work the way I liked,
so I use cobbled something together using nc.

Because I changed around some files, I have to be careful with
drbl/clonezilla updates.

I found it useful to have spare disk/LVM space on the server to restore
images to, easier restore of a single file or dir. Needs to be
equal/larger than the biggest client disk.

I had to move it from an x86_64 to i386 Centos - not all my client cpus
could run 64bit.

PXE boot other stuff like systemrescue, C5 install/rescue, DBAN, etc.

I never posted anything, but Steven Shiau, the maintainer, seems
responsive to questions on the mail list.


--
tkb
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
"Sorin Srbu"
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

>-----Original Message-----
>From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
Behalf
>Of Michael Peterson
>Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:17 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Clonezilla SE with CentOS5
>
>> Thanks Les and Thomas. I appreciate the feedback. I'll look into
installing
>> this solution.
>>
>> I'm currently using a g4u-based routine with an ftp-server running of off
a
>> Win2k3-machine+dhcp. It works, but is slightly awkward to use. Clonezilla
>> seems a bit more worked-on compared and more of a complete solution.
>
>Please let us know how it works for you.
>I did not know that you could install it on CentOS.
>I just started looking at it lately and can not get the live CD to work
>on new or old hardware.
>I have used PartImage and hoped it would be easier to use but no luck
>even getting it up to test yet.
>Glad to read that someone has gotten it to work.

I will. I'm just about finished migrating RHEL3 to CentOS5 by way of g4u for
a course-start and I'll start looking into Clonezilla afterwards, when I'm
not deadlined anymore. This whole business with g4u made things pearshaped
occasionally and also made me start looking for a more generalistic
solution. Don't misunderstand me, g4u is not bad at all, but things are not
ideal as it were.
--
/Sorin
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
"Sorin Srbu"
 
Default Clonezilla SE with CentOS5

>-----Original Message-----
>From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org] On
Behalf
>Of Toby Bluhm
>Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:25 PM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Clonezilla SE with CentOS5
>
>I never posted anything, but Steven Shiau, the maintainer, seems
>responsive to questions on the mail list.

Thx for the hint. I'll look there for more help if I need any.
--
/Sorin
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org